one box solution to getting 320k Radio 3 stream?

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I'm looking at internet radio options as an alternative to upgrading my FM tuner. This would depend on Radio 3 320k web feed. I understnd that normal internet radio that you can get using an M1 Clic or similar only gives 192 kb. Is there an alternative solution of product that would not require me to use my laptop (which may be busy on other stuff)?

I guess one solution would be to buy a cheapo pc and connect direct to my cable modem and a DAC, would this be a sensible option that could also access standard Internet radio stations and cheaper than an M1 Clic?

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
AFAIK Nope, the 320k stream is only channeled through BBC iplayer unlike it's 192k service which goes through the normal internet radio chanels. For example overseas users can't access the 320 k feed

John Duncan

Right I just checked my Stream Magic and the Radio 3 (AAC) stream says 320k. I also seem to recall adding it to the Uniti via vTuner. This suggests a number of other things will do it like the NP30 or UnitiQute, but can't speak for Squeezebox or others...

EDIT - the squeezebox forums seem to suggest that the iPlayer plugin supports 320k too, though this was a while ago; don't know if anything has changed in the stream itself that might prevent it now.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Kevin Stephens said:
AFAIK Nope, the 320k stream is only channeled through BBC iplayer...

I have just checked BBC R3 on my TuneIn Radio Pro app (on my iPhone). The app has a 'Choose Stream' option. When I click on this, it presents 'Listening Options'.

320 kbps AAC is the first of 4 options listed (and it was already selected by the app so it must default to it).

Even via AirPlay (to my M-CR603) it sounds superb.

As far as I know TuneIn Radio Pro doesn't stream from BBC iPlayer.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts