Alternatives to MF Clic?

Kevin Stephens

Apr 16, 2009
Visit site
I will be moving soon to a house with no FM arial and possibly no good FM signal so maybe it's time to embrace internet radio and sell my beloved MF A5 tuner. I don't want to rely on using my laptop to listen to the radio so looking for a one box solution. The MF clic would seem ideal to match my system, and I guess it would be useful to occasionally stream music from laptops but I've no intention of transferring my large and growing CD collection to hard disc or paying for downloads. Are there any alternatives out there I should be considerig that may cost less but meet my needs as well as the MF Clic?

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
If you want internet radio from a device that can do a hell of a lot more if you need it to, get a used Squeezebox Touch for around £150. Other than a computer, I've yet to see any device that comes anywhere close to its flexibility and usability ... and it sounds great to boot.

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
I find the new Pioneer N-P01 very interesting. It does everything: streaming, Spotify Connect, AirPlay, Internet radio and serves as a USB DAC. You can also play music from an iDevice or a memory stick plugged on the USB port. And for only €400 list price.

I don't know if as a DAC it will be any good, but I'd use the optical port to another DAC. There are limitations though—sound received by Bluetooth is not output on the optical port. I hope that's not the case with AirPlay.

No reviews that I know of yet, though.

lpv

Mar 14, 2013
Visit site
I've been looking at this new Pioneer N-P01 myself but sadly this unit got now inputs at all apart from front USB, so no chance to connect tv or any other audio really.. well, there's also ethernet socket so you can stream form NAS.. looks like good product but no audio/ optical in..

unsleepable

Dec 25, 2013
Visit site
Actually, my bad. It has a DAC but can't be connected with USB to a computer—only to iDevices and memory sticks. It really is just a digital receiver. It makes sense then that it wouldn't have an optical input port either.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts