Question Older Marantz CDP vs newer models

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
Hi,
I have a 30 odd year old Marantz CD6000 OSE Ltd. Ed CDP and was wondering how it compares to the up to date players like the Marantz CD6006 UK ED? It would be difficult for me to audition the two side by side. I have a Denon AVR-X2300W and Monitor Audio Bronze 2 speakers - I was wondering if I should look out for any good deals with black Friday approaching TIA

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
I have an echo dot connected to the amp via a 3.5mm to 2 phono and use this for amazon music and the amp has internet radio - this will probably sound silly but I don't understand the need for a separate streamer there obviously is a good reason to have one but why I don't know anything about these

I know the cd6000 was well thought of back when it was new, the new Cd6006uk is also very well reviewed too. I would have no doubt it would sound very good indeed, they can be found at bargain prices all over the internet. So is worth a punt.
The cd6000 should sell pretty quickly too, I’d go for it.

Reactions: beaker_07

beaker_07

Jul 13, 2016
Visit site
I used to sell them and i agree the 6000 OSE is a good CDP (y)

If the OP hasn't already done so then in the first instance try using the amplifiers own internal DAC by using optical out from the CDP.
That's the way I last had it set up with the optical cable - due to decorating at present not all my av equipment is set up hopefully by the end of next week will be back to normal as previous posting had thought of an external dac

knaithrover

Nov 24, 2013
Visit site
I have a CD48 which cost me about £50 and is really really good, one of the best CD players I've heard and held its own when compared to a 3k Roksan I used to have!! Apparently the CD48 has a legendary Phillips dac chip (the tda1549) which was only made in 1994 and even in stock machines gives stunning results.

Last edited:

Gray

I bought the KI verion of the 6000 OSE (when it was briefly £200 off its £500 RRP).
I've always been happy with the sound (don't look bad in 'champagne' gold either)
Tried it through a couple of DACs that cost more the player, which just gave me more respect for its own analogue output.
If your 6000 is anything like mine, I'd expect a new Marantz to have a brighter display.
From new, I always thought mine was too dim (like the lowest level on a dimmable display).
I questioned this with Marantz but they advised this was normal.
Marantz CDP owners always seem a fairly contented bunch - with good reason I reckon.

Reactions: beaker_07

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts