Old Yamaha DSPAX757SE Amp with which speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all.
Been in the loft and found my old av amp just wondering if the £250 budget Jamo 5.1 speakers ( can't remember the exact model number, but are What Hifi's 5* at under £500) - are a worthwhile match, considering the cost of the speakers. I bought the amp ages ago but never got round to buying speakers for it, so up in the loft it went. Anyway after a clearout i came across it and would like to utilise it, but budget is an obsticle at the moment, any ideas??
BTW my room is about 6.5m x 5.5m.
Got my dedicated stereo amp speakers for music, this will just be for tv/movies.
Also does anyone know who can do a home demo in South Yorkshire area on this kit?
Many thanks

A

Anonymous

Can't anyone help, if i need to put more info, please let me know, to recap, i've got Yamaha DSP-AX757SE amp, i think i bought this around 5 years ago - (as a recommendation from WHF) - so no HDMI, what started this off is that we have just decided to get a Samsung LCD tv LE40A686 i think is the model we've (finally) decided to go for, and also a Blu-ray player, not decided which one yet, that started me thinking again about 'home theater', at the moment i can't afford to spend loads on a new amp plus speakers, so was hoping to use my 'old' amp with some small - as per wifeys instructions - cheap, but effective speakers. This is where the Jamo's came in my shortlist. Eventually, i will be replacing the amp and upgrading to better speakers such as kef eggs or (dream) B&W MT-30. I'm not wanting the cheap speakers to do music, just Tv and movies. I have a budget of around or less £500 and they must be of a wife friendly size, can anyone suggest a suitable match given my room size and other stumbling blocks i've mentioned.
Many thanks.

Also how should i connect this lot up, given that my amp doesnt have - or at least i dont think it does have any HDMI ports. Forgot to mention will be getting Sky HD

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
Only just spotted this thread. As you're no doubt aware, the amp is capable of a lot more, but as a stop gap, I see nothing wrong with using the Jamos. You could also check out the KEF 1005.2 set which looks like a bit of a bargain to me at the moment. I wouldn't spend much more if it's just for a stop gap, instead save the money for the other equipment.

Since it has 7.1 multichannel analogue inputs, I'd actually be tempted to buy a Blu-Ray player which can decode all formats onboard (like the Sony BDP-S550) and output via multichannel outputs and keep the money you would have spent on a receiver and use it to get the B&W speaker package.

A

Anonymous

Thanks prof, i think i will go for as much future proofing as i can like the BD player you suggested, will also look at the cheaper Kef's. You are right it is just a stop gap albeit maybe a 18 month one, but i will get better , more up to date amp and of course much better speakers, also i've just edited my post, how should i connect all of these components - speak slowly, i new to HT. :)
Thanks again.

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
No worries
emotion-1.gif

You're right, the amp has no HDMI in, so you'll want to hook the Blu-Ray player and the Sky HD box direct to your TV via HDMI for the picture. If you get the Blu-Ray player with online decoding and analogue multichannel outputs, this hooks up to the multichannel inputs on the amp (bottom left, next to the coaxial inputs) using standard RCA phono cables. For 5.1, you'll need three of these. Finally, Sky HD hooks into the amp using a standard optical cable.

A

Anonymous

professorhat:
No worries
emotion-1.gif

You're right, the amp has no HDMI in, so you'll want to hook the Blu-Ray player and the Sky HD box direct to your TV via HDMI for the picture. If you get the Blu-Ray player with online decoding and analogue multichannel outputs, this hooks up to the multichannel inputs on the amp (bottom left, next to the coaxial inputs) using standard RCA phono cables. For 5.1, you'll need three of these. Finally, Sky HD hooks into the amp using a standard optical cable.

Thanks.
Anyone else got some suggestions for speakers, so far we got Jamo and Kef 1005.2's, i've shown both of these to the wife and the looks and the size meets her approval.
Would really like a home demo, can i get such a thing?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts