Old XP laptop as source

creechitup

Mar 14, 2012
Visit site
Dear all - i have an old, venerable Dell D620 laptop (running XP) that i would like to use exclusively as a hifi source using an external dac, with ripped files and spotify streaming providing the music. I think i would plan to use Foobar and Fidelify with ASIO4ALL. I've been rummaging through posts and guides but am still quite confused.

1. Does an external DAC completely bypass the sound hardware in the D620 laptop (SigmaTel i think)? i.e. does it matter that i'm using an oldish laptop?

2. ASIO4ALL, WASPI, directsound : these are all different methods to feed sound from software player to the USB port (and onto the DAC)?

3. Do all external USB DACs work with ASIO4ALL?

I realise this is a bit of a rehashed topic, but it's too complex for my tiny brain. Any other insights would be much appreciated!

abacus

If your using your laptop to produce music then the drivers you mention are very important, however if you are just playing it back then all that is needed is a good DAC and output stage, unfortunately all laptop on-board sound cards are abysmal when it comes to sound quality, so just go for an external USB DAC. (Or if your computer has a Firewire ports go for a Firewire DAC)

Hope this helps

Bill

AnotherJoe

Jun 10, 2011
Visit site
If you are not mixing sound there is no need to bother with ASIO/WASAPI - just turn off all system sound so it wont intefere with the music.

All that matters is the connection you use. Ideally hdmi or optical out - but if your laptop doesnt have either then a USB DAC would be your best bet.

To use the USB DAC you would just right click on the speaker icon and change the playback device to the DAC.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts