Old system upgrade advice please

Burt124

Jan 12, 2015
Visit site
Hi,

I'm new to the forum and wonder if I could get some advice or thoughts on possible upgrades to my system, or indeed if I just stick with it.

I currently have a Technics SL-PS740A CD Player, Technics SU-A900MK2 amplifier, both of these were purchased new getting on for 20 years ago. These originally played through Celestion DL12 Series 2 speakers. I purchased this equipment when I was quite young and it end up in storage for many years as I moved about a bit.

I finally set it up again a couple of years ago and began to use it. I discovered that the Celestions were shot and replaced them with a second hand pair of Kef Reference 104/2s I found locally. These proved a revelation after the Celestions providing a huge soundstage. I then replaced the original QED79 strand cables I had with some Audioquest ones ( I did notice quite an improvement ). This prompted me to change the interconnects and buy a mains conditioner, both of which also made a slight improvement.

i do like, and enjoy listening to my system but in some respects am itching for a change, but I don't want to change just for the sake of it.

I listen to rock rock and pop music and like it loud, I like to hear and feel the music. I feel that the system sounds great with some CDs but others can sound just not quite right and harsh to listen to. The harshness seems to be present more commonly on new CDs I buy, my older ones invariably sound great.

i have had a listen to a couple of new systems recently, a Cyrus being one, and if I'm honest only felt that possibly I was getting some more detail but was losing power, excitement and bass depth.

i am tempted by the Cambridge Audio 851E/851W in combination with a streamer and/ or new CD player but have not heard them. I am also interested to see what happens to the new Technics range.

Fundamentally it seems that I need to spend quite a lot of money to get any significant improvements and I'm not sure it's worth it.

danrv

Sep 17, 2010
Visit site
Hi

Depends on how much you want to spend really. I used quality budget hifi for years (Rotel RA-01, CA Azur 640C) and thought that's all I'll ever need. That is, until I changed to a mid level Roksan Kandy K2 amp and CD player with Dali Lektor 2 speakers. What a difference! Much fuller sound and quality right through the range. For rock, pop and and everything else it's just fantastic.

Not sure how much the Technics system was that you have but I have a couple of their CD players and they're good. Bought a used SL-PG400A CD player years ago for £20. Still going strong.

The CA 851 combination would be great with the right speakers and I did consider that option but I think the Roksan is more versatile and musical.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts