Old speakers

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
ehales4:

I have a pair of 17 year old KEF C45 speakers. If I buy a new pair of say KEF iQ3 speakers would they be any better ?

Many Thanks.

I haven't got a clue! on the paper, iQ3 should be.

I never keep any HiFi eqipment that long....17 weeks is on the limit for me.

A

Anonymous

Provided you have a good local supplier with a listening room, I would recommend that you listen before you buy. Some places will let you take equipment home too.

I'm in a similar position to you as I'm trying to find speakers that will perform better than my Rogers LS55 floorstanders.

I'm really struggling to find anything under £1200 that sound better!! Although I appreciate this is a subjective thing.

I've listened to models from Dali, B&Ws, Spendors, KEF, Rega, MA and a few other usual suspects including a handmade set from Wilmslow and none of them give the same depth of presentation as the Rogers. I'm now trying to find another pair of these elusive speakers on the second hand market.

I'm also going to upgrade my Wilmslow setup but that'll take time as all my DIY projects do.

A

Anonymous

The KEF C45s weren't ever the greatest speakers - the IQ3s should be far better!

A

Anonymous

Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, Hughes123, but have you heard the C45s? Haven't heard them for years myself, but memory says they weren't bad, and that if you liked them, you're possible not going to like the IQ series as they do sound very different.

I'd suggest a demo of old and new side by side - sure the dealer wouldn't mind.

A

Anonymous

Taksinridgeback:Don't want to dampen your enthusiasm, Hughes123, but have you heard the C45s?

Yes I have, my uncle has a pair - finished in black. Two way design and when you take the covers off, the tweeters look like the front of a spitfire with a prop at the front.

Sound is best described as warm and woolly - not much definition to the sound - but quite good for non-fatiguing listening. Kef's IQ3s are superior in every way. Try them, don't just take it from me!

fatboyslimfast

Jan 10, 2008
Visit site
Taking a listen would be well worth it IMO.

I heard the iQ3's recently and was a bit non-plussed - they sounded a bit "closed in" if that makes any sense.

The best way I can describe it is that they (and I'm going to coin a phrase here) lacked Audio Contrast.

You know, when you turn the telly contrast down and nothing jumps out of the screen at you any more - well, that sort of thing...

A

Anonymous

Your uncle sounds like a man after my own heart! Warm, definitely, and maybe a touch woolly, you're right. Ah, those were the days, when Margaret Thatcher was on the throne, there was an iron curtain, and you could finish the day off, a cup of cocoa in hand basking in the warmth of Dire Straits coming through your Kefs.

Went out looking for speakers two weeks ago and heard the IQ3s. Didn't really take to them, to my ears they sounded a bit closed in, as fbsf says. Thought the new Mordaunt-Short mezzos sounded better, but in the end didn't buy either.

A

Anonymous

Taksinridgeback:
there was an iron curtain,

Are you referring to the metaphorical one mentioned in Chirchill's famous speech or the metaphorical one that seems to plague all speakers of the time resulting in a dull treble?

Oh, and he is for, now don't ask me why, running them off a Krell KSA-250...DO NOT ASK WHY! I think he got given it by a friend...and I'm persuading him it's worth just £100 to get it off him! I think it would melt my Missions in a few seconds!

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Taksinridgeback:

Went out looking for speakers two weeks ago and heard the IQ3s. Didn't really take to them, to my ears they sounded a bit closed in, as fbsf says. Thought the new Mordaunt-Short mezzos sounded better, but in the end didn't buy either.

I thought you own a pair of sonus Faber! "SFs go loud without you noticing "and all that was you post on the other thread....fancy a downgrade were you?

A

Anonymous

I have 2 systems. Give me your e-mail address, and I'll send you the pictures. Do try not to jump to conclusions, I've just learnt that lesson...

bye

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
Taksinridgeback:

I have 2 systems. Give me your e-mail address, and I'll send you the pictures. Do try not to jump to conclusions, I've just learnt that lesson...

bye

My email adress is just for my mate which you clearly state that you are not!

Anyway happy listening
emotion-21.gif

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts