Old Nad amp what speakers ?

Nadfan

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I have an old Nad 3020e amp had it from new with technics PG4 CD player and mission M30 speakers on atacama nexus stands in a room 15 feet by 10 feet I love electronic music omd alphaville ultravox etc its sounds nice but would like more bass and power ! I read a lot of speakers now best bi wired but can you bi wire my old Nad amp as ports on back very narrow ? Is it best to change amp and speakers ? I look on eBay regular thank you for your help

Nadfan

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I would go up to £100 for speakers and £100 for amp is the pioneer 400 to old now ? Would mission 760i speakers be better ?

Hi Nadfan, your amp is, as you say not set up for bi-wiring having only outlets for one pair of cables and these have bare-wire connections.

Don't believe all you read about bi-wiring as pretty much all of it is pure tosh (bi-amping on the other hand has it's merits).

If you are happy with the amp then my advice to you would be spend the whole £200 on a speaker upgrade and forget about bi-wiring completely.

FennerMachine

Feb 5, 2011
Visit site
A well designed speaker should perform well with all genres of music.

Take your Nad amp to a local dealer and demo a few speakers with your music.

[font="ProximaNova-Light, arial, verdana, sans-serif"][style="font-size: 14pt"]Bi-wiring is almost [/font][/style][font="ProximaNova-Light, arial, verdana, sans-serif"][style="font-size: 14pt"]pointless.[/font][/style][font="ProximaNova-Light, arial, verdana, sans-serif"][style="font-size: 14pt"] Just get standard think cable for a few £ per metre. What you have will likely be [/font][/style][font="ProximaNova-Light, arial, verdana, sans-serif"][style="font-size: 14pt"]adequate.[/font][/style]

rainsoothe

FennerMachine said:
A well designed speaker should perform well with all genres of music.

Take your Nad amp to a local dealer and demo a few speakers with your music.

Bi-wiring is almost pointless. Just get standard think cable for a few £ per metre. What you have will likely be adequate.

This, plus what Al ears said. If you don't mind second hand, B&W DM602 S3 (or S2) are really great speakers. For new, the usual suspects for that budget are Dali, Q Acoustics, Boston Acoustics and Wharfedale.

rainsoothe

Nadfan said:
Thank you for the replies is there a big difference between the B and w 601 and 602 ?

Well I have no personal experience with the 601, but doing some reading online revealed someone that had Nad amplification that said they prefered the 601. The difference is in the bass region, the 602 has slightly more (not a whole lot though), and all say that the 601 image better. IMO it's because the 602 need more powerful amps which don't have a bloated bass (such as the Rotel RA 1062). So a pair of 601 (S3 preferably) actually might be a better fit.

Nadfan

Apr 21, 2015
Visit site
I've read monitor audio BR2 suit my nad amp ?? The bowers and Wilkins are quality though reflected in their used prices on eBay !

rainsoothe

Nadfan said:
I've read monitor audio BR2 suit my nad amp ?? The bowers and Wilkins are quality though reflected in their used prices on eBay !

They might, but you need to audition for yourself. I, for one, am not a great fan of MA speakers. Used to own B&W 602 S3 and loved them - my brother has them now, and they still sound great. But again, if you're buying new, you should audition everything that's been suggested (or as much as you can) - you might absolutely love some speakers that others hate.

londonguy

Mar 22, 2011
Visit site
Nadfan said:

i had a nad c320bee used with those MA speakers and liked them. Was very good with acoustic and electronic music, ok with rock/guitar music but maybe not quite as forward as I would have liked.

monster71

Dec 6, 2013
Visit site
I have the exact same model amplifier as yourself paired with Dali Zensor 3's and it sounds fab.

There slightly over your budget, but if you shop around you can get the Zensor 3's for £260ish

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts