Old Marantz vs.new cd players

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,just wondered if you knew how the new Marantz cd 6002 cd player would compare to my 10 year old Marantz cd63mk2 ki signature,which I think is still amazing,or an Arcam Alpha 7/8 cd player?Thanks.

Tesler

Oct 2, 2007
Visit site
I have said this before on a few threads on this site, I have a CD63SE which died (the Laser went). I subsequently went out and bought a CD6002 because of it's glowing reviews at 200 quid from Richer Sounds.
When I got home and connected it up I was disappointed with it, it is nowhere near as coherent as the CD63SE I found the treble was restrained and to much distortion with transients (Cymbal crashes and High Hats e.t.c) and it gets a bit muddled when the music gets busy.

Now, you have the KI sig version of the CD 63, I suspect you will find the difference between that and the CD6002 even more disappointing than I did?
I solved my problem by sourcing a new Laser assembly for my CD63SE, off the web from a company in Surrey, for 25 quid, I installed it in the CD63 and I'm away again, blows the CD6002 out of the water. My only regret is that I should have done that before spending 200 quid on the CD6002.
The Arcam might suit you better IMHO, it will sound warmer, but as with anything, it depends on what you partner it with..

A

Anonymous

there was an article in Hi-Fi world that after selecting the EX2 via the remote of the CD6002 the results where very good. Without selecting this setting the player was harsh on treble. The review is in the current issue of hi-fi world.

A

Anonymous

Exactly!... "Audio EX2" sound mode disables pitch control and digital out and thus (so claims Marantz) the player provides the best sound from analog outputs. But when first purchased, the sound mode is set to "Audio EX OFF", so you have to change it (if you want better sound....)

Tesler

Oct 2, 2007
Visit site
Yes I tried that, Ex off , Ex1 and Ex2, the differences are slight but still not enough to put in the same league as the older Marantz machines.

Al the EX modes do is to turn off certain things, digital outputs and pitch control feature amongst others, I imagine this is to make the signal paths shorter or cleaner, but doing this doesn't actually improve the CD player's presentation a great deal, it still struggles with the ability to reproduce transients without a degree of distortion. It's a shame because the CD6002 would be stunning for it's price if it wasn't for that!

I would just like to point out that I tried the CD6002 with both my amps Pioneer A-400 and my Cambridge Audio 740a, the 6002 was unable to reproduce Cymbal Crashes and High hats convincingly enough for me. Listening to Keith Forsey's drums and High hat on Donna Summer's Bad Girls album shows that CD6002 doesn't quite cut it compared with the older Marantz.

A

Anonymous

Probably would be disappointed,the KI-SIG was a great player,mine`s been fixed twice now but ok at the mo,sounds great,if replacement time does come,I think I`d probably try to find an Arcam Alpha 7/8/8se player off e-bay or somewhere as I have the Marantz connected to an Arcam Alpha 9 amp,again,getting old now but still sounds sweet.Thanks for the replies folks.

Thaiman

Jul 28, 2007
Visit site
I can not understand why someone would class Marantz as a bright products? All of my Marantz sound lovely, warm and involving.

A

Anonymous

Not had much experience of Marantz myself,apart from my cd63 mk2 ki sig,but bright?I agree,no way,sounds far from bright through my Arcam Alpha 9,great sound,definitely better than the other gear I had before it.

A

Anonymous

I've heard quite a number of Marantz'es now too (probably not as much as Thaiman) and I've never heard any that I would describe as bright. A sweet trebble, open sound, slightly warm. As I'm writing this post, one does spring to mind: the CD5000, but this basically was a Philips cd-player with a Marantz badged slapped on it.

T

the record spot

The CD63 MkII KI-Sig was a stunner of a player; the 6002 might be good, maybe even great, but it's not in the same league as the former. That player will be talked about 20 years from now still.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts