Old hi-fi

kitkat

Jun 18, 2007
Visit site
I found an old but brand new, sealed in box Marantz PM7200 which I am interested in for a second setup I am building, I used to own one of these for many years so know the sound well, my question is as long as its been stored well, dry etc will the electrics inside be as good as new, is there anything that could deteriorate even though its unused ? Thank you.

Vladimir

Dec 26, 2013
Visit site
Caps deteriorate even when unused, but of course much much faster when used due to heat.

The PM7200 isn't that old. I think it should be in very decent shape. Just take it easy at first run, let it settle in.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
Vladimir said:
The PM7200 isn't that old. I think it should be in very decent shape.

At it's oldest it'll be from 2002 (the date it's user guide was published) and therefore 15 years old. In all likelihood it might be a year or two younger.

Given it's utter lack of use i'd buy it with confidence.

nick8858

Aug 8, 2011
Visit site
Thats not old at all. I have a 1976 Pioneer SX450 receiver. Brilliant sound, fully working and picks up FM reception like nothing else. Great piece of kit. Only 15 watts a side but then these are genuine 1970's Japanese watts and sounds a whole lot bigger than that. No gold plated terminals to be seen etc. These guys knew what they were doing then

Blacksabbath25

Sep 20, 2015
Visit site
i want to get my hands on a yamaha ca-2100 from the 1970s but had no luck in finding one but it would be just as good as my modern a-s2100 which i have now . A lot of those old amps would give a lot of theses modern amps a run for the money i reakon .

lindsayt

Apr 8, 2011
Visit site
Oldphrt said:
drummerman said:
There should be a 'Use by Date' near the barcode on the box.

Why?
I thought it was a pleasantly dry joke from drummerman.

As for the PM7200, I'd give the same advice that I'd give for EVERY hi-fi purchase. If it's the right price go ahead and buy it.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts