Old but new to this forum

dudleyperkins

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Hello, I've always been interested in good old 2 channel stereo. A few years ago I owned a Fatman 182 valve amplifier. The sound was superb, my wife said it was like listening to a favourite cd for the first time, howver it proved to be unreliable and returned under warranty.

I now have an Arcam CD17, Arcam A28 amp and Kef IQ5 speakers, sounds good, but not quite as good as the valve amp. I would like to get back to that valve sound if possible. The hifi is in a small room, separate from the tv, and I'm looking for another valve amp, high power is not required, may be a Unison "Simply Italy".

All suggestions considered.

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
I think you will be delighted with the sound you will get from a good valve amp.

Chebby has listed some great suggestions, and I would only add Puresound (possibly A30) and Pathos Hybrid amps.

I think your IQ5s are reasonably easy to drive and will sound well with a valve amp (I used to have IQ9s).....IMO. they are a great match with Arcam, and will sound even better with valves.

Let us know how you get on.

Cno

Macspur

May 3, 2010
Visit site
Not sure what your budget is, but if you can afford it the Leben SC300 can be had used or sh for a reasonable price.

Alternatively, if you fancy a valve like sound, perhaps try a class A amp like a Sugden A21.

Mac

dudleyperkins

Nov 29, 2012
Visit site
Thanks for the suggestions. I will post how I get on, though it will probably be after Christmas.

As for a budget, the Simply Italy is about £1500, that's as much as I will spend.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts