Old amplifier only outputting on one channel

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I recently recieved a beautiful old Cambridge Audio P100 from a relative who passed away, and it's got a couple of problems, the most notable of which is that when headphones or speakers are plugged in, audio only plays over one channel, usually the left, although this can change. I'm totally new to modifying and repairing electronics, so I'd feel a little daunted by the prospect of cracking it open and having a look. Is there some way to perhaps remedy this externally, maybe by cleaning the contacts on the headphone-out and aux-in with a t-swab, or would that damage it further? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks in advance.

eggontoast

Feb 23, 2011
Visit site
These amps are really getting on now, it probably dates from circa 1972. I have refurbished a number of P50's, P60's and P110's and they sound pretty good for the year of manufacture. The P100 is a really early example and will really need a good overhaul, the caps on these amplifiers don't last and will need replacing, the volume pots don't balance well either and if dirty can make the output jump all over the show as it is a feedback design (squirting cleaner in them makes them worse too). The problem is though it will cost a fair bit to refurb and when done it is still not worth much, approx £60-£80.

EDIT forgot to say, they are also a right pain to work on due to the way it is designed with push in cards.

A

Anonymous

Hi eggontoast.

Do you have a pdf of the service manual for a P50? I need to replace the volume and balance pots but need to know how to get at them and what values to order.

robinhow@gmail.com

Cheers

Robin

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts