Oh folly... I know why the Electro sounded less than great.

My living room. Finished work a little early, had some time to kill until embarking on the school run, and decided to move the speakers (firing down the 17' side of the room). It's the first time since buying the Naim and PMCs. Different dynamics and improved imaging really gave the kit a real lift.

Out of curiosity, I rigged the Electro up and there's a marked improvement.

Not sure why that should be. Possibly because the Electro, although slightly leaner than the Naim, may have a broader soundstage, and having them firing across 12' of the room (probably) doesn't do it justice.

Trying to find a solution for moving the system around permanently is proving tricky, given the crummy design of the bungalow. If I can't find a satisfactory solution may have to look at smaller speakers (DB1i or Totem Rainmakers).

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Which PMC's are you running - I've not kept up with your kit swapping.

The other question is Will the db1's on stands have a smaller foot print than your current speakers If they are floorstanders?

What is the issue now is it too much bass?

Do you have tone controls.

Note firing the speakers straight down the 17' of your room offers a bigger sweet spot. Can you shift your listening position to accommodate the New speaker position?

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Actually, this will sound crazy, but I'll suggest it anyway.

QED performance 2 interconnect.

There I said it.

Its a clean interconnect with a light (but we'll defined) bass. Their about £35 new.

Its fine if you think that's crazy talk but alot less hassle and cost of changing speakers.

If you use a digital source tablet, PC...etc - it'll have a graphic equaliser on it.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Hi PP, if you do need a pair of DB1i's i have and imaculate pair that hopfully will become available soon, asuming the IPL's work out!! Its alway recomended to fire down the lenght of the room. I run mine across with width 15' x 12' room and they are fine though. They might sound better down the 15' but not tried.

iQ Speakers

Feb 24, 2013
Visit site
Spot on Electro, i think thats what this Forum is all about to share ideas and sow a seed thought! For all you know Electro that post could of subconsciouly registered on PP and he thought it worth while giving it a go. Bravo.

@ Thompsonuxb: I'm not a box changer in the main. I took a flyer on the Electro and came a little unstuck. My fault. The PMC's are TB2is, which I love.

@ Electro: You made valid points, but I could only tell you guys as I heard it then. Since moving the speakers around (thank gawd for long leads), I've found both Naim CD5i and Electro improved quite considerably.

@ Boggit: Thanks for the DB1i offer. Yet to find a solution to a permanent move round with the system. If, and only if, I can't find a solution then I'll look at smaller speakers... that could be some way off yet. Thanks anyway.

Think what I've learned from this brief experience is I'm not getting the most from the Leema, Naim/Electro or PMCs.

Given the room layout I would be better off with a cheaper set-up. I won't, however, sacrifice any component until I've explored every avenue.

D

Deleted member 108165

PP, I much admired your courage in your previous thread regarding the Electro, you took a lot of stick whilst giving your honest response to your new addition. My hat is off to you sir.

I have often thought the same regarding a cheaper set-up solution for domestic use. I'm not massively into opera or classical, (though about 15% of my collection is classical/opera), I much prefer popular or "pop" music. I only made one change when I caught the uprade bug: from Marantz PM/CD6004 to Pearl Lite separates and from MA speakers to PMC. What I have found in just this single upgrade is that any further upgrade would be futile and counter productive as it would probably render my entire pop collection unlistenable. I like the sound I have currently got, within reason, as some recordings still sound poor even on this mid-fi system, but I'll stick where I am as audio nirvana is a balancing act.

DougK said:
PP, I much admired your courage in your previous thread regarding the Electro, you took a lot of stick whilst giving your honest response to your new addition. My hat is off to you sir.

I have often thought the same regarding a cheaper set-up solution for domestic use. I'm not massively into opera or classical, (though about 15% of my collection is classical/opera), I much prefer popular or "pop" music. I only made one change when I caught the uprade bug: from Marantz PM/CD6004 to Pearl Lite separates and from MA speakers to PMC. What I have found in just this single upgrade is that any further upgrade would be futile and counter productive as it would probably render my entire pop collection unlistenable. I like the sound I have currently got, within reason, as some recordings still sound poor even on this mid-fi system, but I'll stick where I am as audio nirvana is a balancing act.

Thanks, Doug.

The speakers are now back in the usual place. Mrs. P wasn't happy to see the speakers/cables strewn across the living room.

As I've mentioned before I have two options: Either find a way of re-siting the hi-fi so it fires down the the 17' side. Or, if I can't achieve the first option, buy smaller speakers.

Electro

Mar 30, 2011
Visit site
PP ,

I don't know if it will be any help, but if you do decide to go for smaller speakers I know from personal experience that DB1i's work extremely well hung on the wall using the dedicated PMC wall brackets .

A friend of mine has a pair mounted on the wall about 5' high and angled down and in towards the listening position , he uses long runs of van damme speaker cable tucked under the skirting board to his system . The sound is very good with a proper image and tight deep bass that is aided by the close wall proximity , it pleasantly suprises me every time I listen to it .*smile*

Electro said:
PP ,

I don't know if it will be any help, but if you do decide to go for smaller speakers I know from personal experience that DB1i's work extremely well hung on the wall using the dedicated PMC wall brackets .

A friend of mine has a pair mounted on the wall about 5' high and angled down and in towards the listening position , he uses long runs of van damme speaker cable tucked under the skirting board to his system . The sound is very good with a proper image and tight deep bass that is aided by the close wall proximity , it pleasantly suprises me every time I listen to it .*smile*

I know from personal experience the DB1is work a treat with the Leema, but can't hang them on the wall. The only wall appropriate is the one dividing our bungalow from next doors. As they are pensioners, I would be loathed to look at the hanging option.

shep1968

Aug 20, 2007
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
Electro said:
PP ,

I know from personal experience the DB1is work a treat with the Leema, but can't hang them on the wall. The only wall appropriate is the one dividing our bungalow from next doors. As they are pensioners, I would be loathed to look at the hanging option.
So if they werent pensioners, say there were a family with children, you would be happier to share your music with them through the party wall?? As a matter of interest, why not keep thekit you already have?

shep1968 said:
plastic penguin said:
Electro said:
PP ,

So if they werent pensioners, say there were a family with children, you would be happier to share your music with them through the party wall?? As a matter of interest, why not keep thekit you already have?

Depends on how old the children were. This is all hypothetical.

From moving the speakers around I've found the system sounds so different (not exactly night and day) but enough to know that the current configuration isn't getting the best from my set-up. I'm guessing smaller speakers would do the trick.

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
plastic penguin said:
shep1968 said:
plastic penguin said:
Electro said:
PP ,

From moving the speakers around I've found the system sounds so different (not exactly night and day) but enough to know that the current configuration isn't getting the best from my set-up. I'm guessing smaller speakers would do the trick.

I have always found that a good rule of thumb is that if you place your speakers in the worst possible position, in terms of practicality and convienience, they will be very close to the optimum position performance wise.

This explains why, in almost all 'real world' situations smaller speakers are far easier to integrate into a 'normal' room and why I usually recommend them. Without wishing to overstir the pot, good active speakers are usually easier to integrate into the room too, far less difficult when it comes to positioning.

davedotco said:
plastic penguin said:
shep1968 said:
plastic penguin said:
Electro said:
PP ,

I have always found that a good rule of thumb is that if you place your speakers in the worst possible position, in terms of practicality and convienience, they will be very close to the optimum position performance wise.

This explains why, in almost all 'real world' situations smaller speakers are far easier to integrate into a 'normal' room and why I usually recommend them. Without wishing to overstir the pot, good active speakers are usually easier to integrate into the room too, far less difficult when it comes to positioning.

(Chewing knuckles)

*diablo*

EDIT - Rather than chewing lumps out of my hand, I'll confiscate your spoon.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
Smaller speakers cannot fix your problem unless it means they can fit into 'the optimum position'.

Why give up the extra scale?

Ether buy flat wire that can run behind skirting / under carpet or move your system closer to that area.

Thompsonuxb said:
Smaller speakers cannot fix your problem unless it means they can fit into 'the optimum position'.

Why give up the extra scale?

Ether buy flat wire that can run behind skirting / under carpet or move your system closer to that area.

That's the problem -- as it stands the room is remaining 'as is'. Unless I can find some way of securing the TV on brackets, there's no-way placing the system anywhere else.

Don't get the advantage of having flat cables.

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
The flat cables just offer the convenience of being able to run the cable discretly compared to standard cable.

That said how far off the optimum sound are you currently getting?

Thompsonuxb said:
The flat cables just offer the convenience of being able to run the cable discretly compared to standard cable.

That said how far off the optimum sound are you currently getting?

Not huge but it is audible. The improvements are imagine and the width of the soundstage. It just sounds a little more 3D. This is purely, in the current configuration, because I can't get the TB2s back quite far enough - only a foot or so, hence why I think the DB1is would be the answer -- cabinets not as deep. Same goes with Totem Rainmakers, or even Arros as they a doddle to place.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
And to think that you used to run rather large, bassy floorstanders in that position (at least I assume all of your kit is pretty much placed as it always has been). I still worry that even smaller speakers may leave you less than satisfied in the long term. Maybe it's because I covet some small floorstanders myself.

I hope you manage to get it all sorted to your satisfaction without too much hassle and expense.

ID. said:
And to think that you used to run rather large, bassy floorstanders in that position (at least I assume all of your kit is pretty much placed as it always has been). I still worry that even smaller speakers may leave you less than satisfied in the long term. Maybe it's because I covet some small floorstanders myself.

I hope you manage to get it all sorted to your satisfaction without too much hassle and expense.

That's true but the RS6s weren't as expressive as the PMCs and oddly... the RS6s IMO were slightly easier to place as they weren't as deep as the TB2s.

I'm not unhappy with the system as is. Only turning the speakers around, out of curiosity, the discovery was made.

So, I'm in no rush to make any changes.

TRENDING THREADS