Offered a trade: Advise please

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hey all, I've formally decided to go with a Technics SL1200 in lieu of the Xpression 3 in order to satisfy my fiddling needs. I've been offered a Moth Mk3 with incognito wiring and the optional low-slung counter weight but no cart in a straight-trade for my project.

Is this any good? I think it's not a super-fabulous trade, I feel the moth plus 200 bucks would be more like it?

I know this thing is just a juicy RB300 but it should make for a thumping good hifi sl1200.

Also, my best mate just let me pick out a table for him at the record shop. Settled on a Sansui 222 Mk1, fantastic little machine.

gregory

Sep 9, 2007
Visit site
Hello Ray, this should be a nice combination, I've said in earlier posts that the Technics is a nice deck but I had problems with mine and changed to a Rega P2 but I've only read positive reviews on the Technics Rega combination, of course you will have to figure in the origin live armboard for around £40.00 and choice of cartridge for which a Denon DL 110 is a fine choice. You may want to look at some other sites that have a wealth of information on everything Technics and Rega, the vinyl engine being one and audiogon another also kabusa who have a dedicated Technics section. I had triple 2 mk IV and yes it is a lovely deck especially with a nagaoka mp 11. Good luck and let us know how you get on.

T

the record spot

Sounds like a good mix Ray - I'd be interested for sure. You have a project on your hands!

Maybe worth a quick double check to investigate any possible issues with the Moth/Rega arm (just to be safe) and take it from there.

Here's a thread from the Steve Hoffman forum that'll give you some cartridge suggestions too - most people plump for Denon DL103, Audio Technica AT440MLa and a few have Shure or Dynavector (10x5) as alternatives.

http://www.stevehoffman.tv/forums/showthread.php?t=142415&highlight=Technics+1200+cartridge

EDIT: Oh yes, the Sansui triple 2 - good call my friend. That was a cracking little deck - in fact, they made some great gear in the 70s; one of their tuners is currently on Ebay for a HEFTY sum. Think it's the Sansui 9900 tuner - last time I saw it hat hit over £300 and not a hint of DAB.
emotion-5.gif

John Duncan

An RB250 is £130 or so, the incognito rewire is £170 (if you have it done for you), the counterweight mod is between £70 and £100 depending on which one you get. An XPression is, what - £350?

You're getting a good deal.

A

Anonymous

Yeah I think I'll go for it. Will keep everyone appraised. Incidentally, I'll be needing a mellow-ish cart. I find the Ortofon 2M too harsh, any thoughts on the Sumiko Bluepoint No.2, the Grado Gold Prestige or Nagaoka MP200/150?

Must have something to smoothen out the jazz.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts