October 2010 Big Questions

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
I am still trying to get my thoughts together regarding the latest Big Question but two questions stand out for me:

1) What happened to "We asked...Laptops: should you upgrade soundcard and software, too?" Surely you cannot claim to have covered it with the last sentence of the last paragraph?

2) When did Gollum start writing for the mag? "Track's's"?

Answers on a postcard please...

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
1) True enough. We got quite embroiled in the first two parts of the test ("Can you discern differences between DACs at various prices?" and "Does the track's's [sic] bitrate make much of a difference?") and ran rather short of time on the day. I think the question "Laptops: should you upgrade soundcard and software, too?" is deserving of a Big Question of its own at some point, rather than trying to rush to a conclusion at the end of a strenuous listening session, and I'll be looking to schedule that sooner rather than later.

2) Track's's. Yes. It's a typo, one of the lesser-spotted 'stuttering' typos and is, of course, a veiled tribute to The Who's My Generation. Apologies - those responsible have had the error of their ways explained to them using a rolled-up copy of the October issue.

ESP2009

Feb 16, 2009
Visit site
Simon Lucas:

1) True enough. We got quite embroiled in the first two parts of the test ("Can you discern differences between DACs at various prices?" and "Does the track's's [sic] bitrate make much of a difference?") and ran rather short of time on the day. I think the question "Laptops: should you upgrade soundcard and software, too?" is deserving of a Big Question of its own at some point, rather than trying to rush to a conclusion at the end of a strenuous listening session, and I'll be looking to schedule that sooner rather than later.

Good idea. I would also be interested in a couple of further variations on the theme: get rid of the reference amplification and speakers, replacing with lesser kit for mortals
emotion-5.gif
; and what about DAC/headphone amps (and associated kit) for that middle ground of iTunes away from home? OK, so you aren't out jogging, at the gymn, or on the bus/train, but maybe you're somewhere with laptop or iPod and want the best portable sound - maybe in the caravan or holiday cottage or even working away from home. What are the best portable speakers, DAC/amp or whatever to boost the experience when away from home?

Simon Lucas:

2) Track's's. Yes. It's a typo, one of the lesser-spotted 'stuttering' typos and is, of course, a veiled tribute to The Who's My Generation. Apologies - those responsible have had the error of their ways explained to them using a rolled-up copy of the October issue.

Oooooo, that's gotta hurt! With our without lubrication?
emotion-5.gif

Simon Lucas

Jun 5, 2007
Visit site
ESP2009:Good idea. I would also be interested in a couple of further variations on the theme: get rid of the reference amplification and speakers, replacing with lesser kit for mortals
emotion-5.gif
; and what about DAC/headphone amps (and associated kit) for that middle ground of iTunes away from home? OK, so you aren't out jogging, at the gymn, or on the bus/train, but maybe you're somewhere with laptop or iPod and want the best portable sound - maybe in the caravan or holiday cottage or even working away from home. What are the best portable speakers, DAC/amp or whatever to boost the experience when away from home?

All interesting suggestions and duly noted. Cheers.

ESP2009:Oooooo, that's gotta hurt! With our without lubrication?
emotion-5.gif

Let's face it, one way is going to make more of a lasting impression than the other.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts