Now TV vs Sky

vpacalypse

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
Does Now TV act as a viable alternative to having Sky ?

Is the majority of the offering the same?

I can say my sky bill is £78.50 with the multiroom box (although I presently have 25% off till Aug).

However, Now TV seems a more price-friendly option.

Does it offer the same experience as Sky or is it still rough around the edges.

I would want sky movies/ sports. So in the interest of saving money, would this be a worthwhile pursuit?

& how does it compare to netflix/ prime instant.

jjbomber

vpacalypse said:
Does Now TV act as a viable alternative to having Sky ?

Is the majority of the offering the same?

I can say my sky bill is £78.50 with the multiroom box (although I presently have 25% off till Aug).

However, Now TV seems a more price-friendly option.

Does it offer the same experience as Sky or is it still rough around the edges.

I would want sky movies/ sports. So in the interest of saving money, would this be a worthwhile pursuit?

& how does it compare to netflix/ prime instant.

Not really a viable alter native, especially for sports. You can't record with a Now TV, just live stream. If you want to watch 2 sports channels at once, you are EDITED BY MODS. Ok, you're not really edited by the Mods, but you get the picture. If you like sports, there isn't really any (legal) alternative to Sky.

Films is much closer. Now TV is currently 720 rather than 1080 HD, but certainly good enough for casual watching. You can't get 3D. These are held in a library, so you can watch them at any time, as well as watching the Sky Movies channels live. Sound is basic digital via HDMI, rather than the full 5.1 surround.

Try and get half price from Sky in August. If they say no, just leave. In about 6 weeks they will offer you half price anyway. Multiroom will stay at full price though.

vpacalypse

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
Lovefilm by post is my main "movie experience" service, so I can take the 720p hit that Now TV Delivers. It's almost half the price of sky movies (£16 vs £9 I think).

I'll have to keep sky sports on the sky box then I guess. I'll do my calculations before I make any moves though.

I'm wondering whether Now TV would be reliable if you have normal broadband instead of fibre optic?

Also do you know if you can use Now TV simultaneously? So if I watch a film downstairs, someone else can watch something from Now TV upstairs? (This would replace sky multiroom for me pretty much then).

"Try and get half price from Sky in August. If they say no, just leave. In about 6 weeks they will offer you half price anyway. Multiroom will stay at full price though".

Lol, have you tried this? I wouldn't mind doing it if it meant getting a discounted 2tb sky box in the process.

vpacalypse

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
That's awesome, but not a vaible option in my household unfortunatley lol.

Just so I know though, Would that be 50% off the Sky world package or are you refferring to 50% off something else.

& to get the discount, is it by means of bargaining over the phone or taking advantage of online offer etc?

jjbomber

vpacalypse said:
That's awesome, but not a vaible option in my household unfortunatley lol.

Just so I know though, Would that be 50% off the Sky world package or are you refferring to 50% off something else.

& to get the discount, is it by means of bargaining over the phone or taking advantage of online offer etc?

Last time it gave 5 choices:

The Original, 35 pay channels, 11 free-to-air HD, 240 Free-to-air for £10 a month

The Family, 80 entertainment channels, 3D, plus all The Original as above for £16 a month

The Movies, 11 Movie channels plus The Original as above for £18 a month

The Sports, 6 Sports (1-4, News F1), plus The Original as above for £21 a month

The Complete, 11 Movies HD, 5 Sports HD, 3D, 80 entertainment channels, 70 HD channels, & 240 free-to-air, £33 a month.

You have to sign up for 12 months. A contract is a contract; i.e. there are penalties if you break it. I think that is reasonable.

vpacalypse

Feb 22, 2009
Visit site
It is reasonable. Especially the "complete" package for £33. Thank you for this. I'll certainly explore this option.

If I happen to have more questions, I'll come straight back here.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts