Not enough connections...

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Well, after a long wait I finally have my new setup at the testing stage with just a few tweaks and a custom rack to assemble.

Although, I have a bit of an issue that hopefully you can help me out with.

My source is a Mac Pro connected to a DacMagic 2 which only has one RCA out. From there I have a Little Dot MKIV headphone/pre-amp and an integrated amplifier.

I tried connected the amp to the pre-amp outs on the LittleDot, however after connecting it to the DacMagic direct it doesn't sound anywhere near as good.

So do I get a RCA splitter and attach this to the DAC, or connect the headphone amp to the Mac via a RCA>3.5mm cable which will degrade audio quality I believe. This is where I'm hoping you might have a better option for me...

Just to add, the intergraded amp does not have any line-outs unfortunately.

A

Anonymous

After a little playing around, I turned the gain down on the Little Dot (from 5 to 3, which is the minium), and the sound through the integrated is actually 'better' that it is connected to the DAC direct IMO. Sounds a bit more open and dynamic.

This has created a new problem though, I have two volume controls...

Should I fix the volume on the integrated amp and use the pre-amp to control the volume or the other way around? Which ever way, what should I leave the volume at on the fixed amp?

Hopefully this question might be easier to answer than the last one!?

idc

Usually a preamp has the volume task, but as to where you set the volume, well I think that in this case experiment and report back to the forum!

Your first question had me googling away as the Little Dot should just pass the signal through when it is connected as described.

A

Anonymous

idc: I guessed the pre-amp (little dot) should take care of the volume task, but I did want to make sure first. At the moment I have the volume at 3/4 way up.

John: Unfortunately the amp doesn't have a tape loop, just one pair of RCAs and one 3.5mm input (for iPod). The preamp is currently connected to the RCAs.

A

Anonymous

Full setup goes: Mac Pro > CA DacMagic 2 > Little Dot MKIV > Ferguson Hill Amp > Ferguson Hill FH007 & FH008...

Details on the speakers / amp here: http://www.fergusonhill.co.uk/product_details.php?id=7

Not a typical Hi-Fi amp, but this setup is used in the office and it does sound a lot better than my last setup.

A

Anonymous

Thanks idc!

I had my eyes on these for about a year. Sad part is, I ordered them at the beginning of last month, then I was told me they were on a boat from China, 5 weeks later when they've got the stock they put them on sale - typical!

I will post pics in the 'Your System' part as soon as I finish building the rack for the audio bits. I got the glass custom cut and just have to decide what wood to use for the legs...

After leaving the amp connected to my little dot for the last few hours has been unbelievable. I cranked it up a little earlier for a few songs (on Spotify of course!) and I love the sound when connected to the pre-amp, its sounds fantastic.

idc

One possible problem; with your kit on a glass rack, everything is see through. You could just take a picture of your wall post it instead!

So what have you set the amps volume to? I have my laptop and Spotify volume set to maximum and then control the actual volume from my amp, which is quiet but perfectly clear at 8 o'clock and rocking at 1 o'clock.

A

Anonymous

LOL, never thought of taking a pic of the wall! Hopefully I'll get the rack finished this weekend and get some pics up.

The volume has been left at 3/4 / 3 o'clock position and pre-amp is well under 9 o'clock for general listening. The only downside I can see is that because the integrated is a class A/B amp, having the volume so high will switch it over to class B mode - or does it not work like that?

To be honest, in the future I can see myself ditching the integrated amp and building a pair of power amps like PJ is doing, but having one amp driving the bass speakers and the other driving the horns.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts