Normal 2v line output/ Chord mojo 3v output?

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Doing a bit of reading on this and looking up as much as possible, but a lot of the technical talk is going a little above my head.

As far as I know, an analog out is generally 2v for input into an amplifier. This Chord Mojo fixed line output is 3v, though according to the interwebz, 4 presses of the volume down then sets this to 1.9v.

Is this 3v line out ok to feed to an integrated amp?

Thanks

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
It was my question and possibly of no interest to anyone, but just on the chance it helps someone with a similar question going fwd, I found a review where it states most amps take a 2v input, and recommended setting line level and lowering it before use. Its very briefly outlimed on the specs at bottom of the page on this link

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_107773_Chord-Mojo.html

CD players were the first source to deliver 2 volts at maximum output. Some have crept up to 2.1 or 2.2 over the years, doubtless to impress on demonstration. Tape recorders and tuners typically put out half to 0.75 volts by comparison.

Your DAC is different and is designed for a variety of uses. 3 volts shouldn't overload any decent amp but it will cause problems when switching between sources, so reducing it to level that suits you is wise.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
muljao said:
Doing a bit of reading on this and looking up as much as possible, but a lot of the technical talk is going a little above my head.

As far as I know, an analog out is generally 2v for input into an amplifier. This Chord Mojo fixed line output is 3v, though according to the interwebz, 4 presses of the volume down then sets this to 1.9v.

Is this 3v line out ok to feed to an integrated amp?

Thanks

Selecting Line out is just a shortcut to a volume preset (3V) for the volume control.

Then you can adjust the voltage to whatever value you desire (within the mojo possible range of 0 to 6V).

Each click of the volume ball, adjusts the voltage by 1 dB, so starting from 3V then 4 clicks of the -ve volume ball gives you 1.9V, which is a reasonable approximation for the 2V which used to be the standard output voltage from CD players.

My arcam solo neo is happy with 2.5V max input signal, so I start from the 3V followed by 2 clicks of the -ve volume ball. This setting works perfectly well.

The explanation how to use the Line out functionality, is explained in post #3 on this forum thread http://www.head-fi.org/t/784602/chord-mojo-the-official-thread-please-read-the-3rd-post#

muljao

Jul 18, 2016
Visit site
Thanks Expat_Mike. I had read about adjusting it but didn't know whether I had to or not.

I have not bought this yet but am seriously considering it. Every review seems positive but mostly they talk about using it as a headphone amp. If I buy it, it would be mainly as a hifi dac, so trying to get as much information as possible. I do know there are thousands of dacs at similar prices that are more convenient as a hifi dac, but this one seems to be the most respected one

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
I used the Mojo as a hifi dac without issue at 3v. Most amp specs will give you the max input recommended. For example the Elex r I had allowed a max 10v input.

Alot will depend too on the input sensitivity of your amp. I used to drop the mojo back to 2v output when connected to Rega or Naim amps because their input sensitivities are quite high and the 3v output made things sound a bit too lively. That flexibility is a nice part of the Mojo.

ChrisIRL

Apr 12, 2014
Visit site
At 150mv your amps sensitivity is quite high so I'd set the Mojo at 1.9v as a safe bet. The Mojo will remember this volume setting each time you turn it on so it should be straightforward to use it as you intend.

MajorFubar

Mar 3, 2010
Visit site
To put your mind at rest it's possible your amplifier's instruction manual tells you the recommended maximum input voltage. I'd be surprised it it was much under 4V.

expat_mike

Mar 30, 2013
Visit site
muljao said:
Thanks Expat_Mike. I had read about adjusting it but didn't know whether I had to or not.

I have not bought this yet but am seriously considering it. Every review seems positive but mostly they talk about using it as a headphone amp. If I buy it, it would be mainly as a hifi dac, so trying to get as much information as possible. I do know there are thousands of dacs at similar prices that are more convenient as a hifi dac, but this one seems to be the most respected one

It is not compulsary to adjust the output voltage - but you have the opportunity if you need it. Twenty or thirty years ago, virtually every amp seemed to align with the 2V input voltage. Nowadays it seems that such standardisation has disappeared, and different amp manufacturers quote different input voltages for their amps. So if you do buy a mojo, then just adjust the 3V to whatever voltage suits your amplifier.

Most of the early posts/reviews were understandably about using the Mojo as a headphone amp/dac. Then gradually people explored using the Mojo as a desktop dac, and now you do read quite a few people saying that they use the Mojo only as a desktop dac.

Myself, I originally bought the Mojo to use during my commute, and was enjoying it. However my commute has now changed, so my mojo is mainly used when I am working on my desktop (sometimes direct through headphones, but sometimes to feed my Arcam solo and listen through speakers).

I like the flexibility that the Mojo provides, but am considering getting a dac (eg second hand hugo, or maybe 2qute) to leave permanently connected to the arcam, and free the Mojo for my occasional mobile use.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts