Nokia Lumia 920 drop / destruction test

alex_bro

May 18, 2011
Visit site
I was also surprised by the comments about build quality in the review. I mentioned this in the "my opinion" section of the review. Also with the 920 having won so many awards http://conversations.nokia.com/2012/12/31/12-awards-the-nokia-lumia-920-won-in-2012/ its hard to see exactly what made the 920 drop a star? Especially when the iphone 5 got 5 stars with some pretty obvious "againsts" mentioned by the reviewers. (Price, maps, adapter, tired UI...)

A

Anonymous

Well there must be credible reasons why the iPhone got 5 stars and the Nokia only 4. I mean, the reviewers wouldn't make them up!!

Paul.

Build quality does not mean being thrown at the ground and surviving. If they were talking about that a term such as strength would be used. An Audi is praised for build quality but they don't crash it in to a wall to test this! Generaly build quality means tight tollerances, good materials and texture and feeling solid. It is not new information that Nokias are the hardest things around :)

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
The build issues we found may not be on all samples - probably aren't - but regardless they were there so we pointed them out. They were minor but as I'd imagine you'd all agree, flex in the chassis on a new phone isn't great.

The main points for why it's four not five were the sound quality - big factor for us - and the wider ecosystem and app availability.

Pete68

Nov 15, 2012
Visit site
Try this phone. It's what I use and it definately has complete bragging rights on tough phones....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RkfCTFT3nRc

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tmC7bAxHn3k

My understanding of build quality is this: what are the chances of my phone surviving if I accidentally drop it? My brother-in-law's Nexus 4's screen got shattered after a single drop from his jacket pocket. My friend's iphone 4S is cracked after a single drop.

Joe Cox

Content Director, What Hi-Fi?
Staff member
May 31, 2007
Visit site
I'd say that's just one element. The quality of the machining, solidity of the chassis, smoothness of edges etc., are as important, especially with a handheld device. This is why we've talked about the plastic casing on Samsung phones, the casing on the Nexus 10 tablet etc.

Joe Cox said:
The build issues we found may not be on all samples - probably aren't - but regardless they were there so we pointed them out. They were minor but as I'd imagine you'd all agree, flex in the chassis on a new phone isn't great.

The main points for why it's four not five were the sound quality - big factor for us - and the wider ecosystem and app availability.

But giving 3 stars for a bit of flex, which has no correlation with whether the phone will survive an unexpected event is harsh, especially in the face of all this evidence of how tough the phone is, won't you agree?

4 stars is expected, given its weak ecosystem in terms of number of apps. Sound quality is superior to iPhone 4S, Nexus 4 & HTC Sensation in my experience, of course that's subjective.

Paul.

bigboss said:
My understanding of build quality is this: what are the chances of my phone surviving if I accidentally drop it? My brother-in-law's Nexus 4's screen got shattered after a single drop from his jacket pocket. My friend's iphone 4S is cracked after a single drop.

Sorry, but you are referring to build strength. Build quality refers to the standard of manufacture, how tight the gaps are, how solid it feels, quality of materials etc.

Joe Cox said:
I'd say that's just one element. The quality of the machining, solidity of the chassis, smoothness of edges etc., are as important, especially with a handheld device. This is why we've talked about the plastic casing on Samsung phones, the casing on the Nexus 10 tablet etc.

All depends on individual preferences. My phone doesn't flex. My personal opinion is that the Lumia 920 excels in all the aspects you've just mentioned. It is the best built phone I've ever owned. I've not read any other review which isn't happy with its build, except its weight (& the glossiness of some colours).

Paul. said:
bigboss said:

Sorry, but you are referring to build strength. Build quality refers to the standard of manufacture, how tight the gaps are, how solid it feels, quality of materials etc.

Check my post just above yours..

Paul.

I'm not commenting on the phone (as I have not held one), just use of the term build quality.

Weirdly, my post is showing as one minute before yourse yet mine is lower? Odd.

Yes, that is weird! Did you edit your post because of which it's below mine? Just one of those gremlins i guess.

Regarding build quality as well, in every aspect the Joe has mentioned, I can't see any deficiency in the phone. People who check my phone out always comment on how well made the phone is.

Lack of apps etc. is understandable to dock a star, or even weight, which some people find uncomfortable in front of lighter counterparts. But rest of the aspects of build quality is actually equal or superior to the competition. There's not one review online that i have found which has questioned its build quality. 4 stars is also understandable if your review model flexes a bit. But 3 stars is certainly uncalled for.

The purpose of this thread is for readers to make their own judgment on its build quality, & not just blindly follow what the review says. My observations are based on actually living with the phone day in & day out, & not just reviewing it for a week or so.

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
Something isn't right

The iPhone 5 comes complete with its own scratches so no 2 iphone 5 are the same, and marks very easy including on the corners Yet it is a 5 star phone

Personally i think this is unexceptable on a £530+ phone regardless of other qualitys

Its not a bad thing having a small amount of flex in a phone it would actualy help with standing knocks and falls as long as the build quality is good it wouldn't matter

landzw

Jun 9, 2009
Visit site
I like the Nokia 920 though you cannot base everything on how tough it is, durability is always a welcome point but i bet its one of the main factors that makes the Nokia 920 so heavy

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts