Feb 15, 2016
3
0
0
Right just got a Project 2 Xperience SB DC turntable to go with a Onko A9010 Amp and Monitor Aodio Bronze 6 speakers to what would you say is the next upgrade to get ? was thinking of new amp but would love to hear your suggestions , have 1K to play with.....
 
Jamie Williams said:
Right just got a Project 2 Xperience SB DC turntable to go with a Onko A9010 Amp and Monitor Aodio Bronze 6 speakers to what would you say is the next upgrade to get ? was thinking of new amp but would love to hear your suggestions , have 1K to play with.....
Your source will always show the most benefit from an upgrade so I would suggest the cartridge.

If you're determined that it's the amp then try the Creek Evolution 50A.
 

bigfish786

Moderator
Jan 29, 2013
518
313
19,270
I myself would look at a better amp, the leema I have has a brilliant phono stage, so I would be looking for an integrated amp with a highly rated phono stage.

You get Leema Pulse amps on eBay on the odd occasion, selling around the 400-450 price.
 

Frank Harvey

Well-known member
Jun 27, 2008
567
0
18,890
The Rega Elex-R would be a good starting point, particularly as it has a decent phono stage built in. There's also the Audiolab 8300A or Arcam A29. If you feel like spending a couple of hundred on a decent stage, you could also look at other amps up to around the £800 mark, although there seems to be a bit of a gap between the £1000 phono equipped amps and the £500-600 non phono equipped amps like the Quad Vena.
 

AntAxon

New member
Jan 9, 2015
47
0
0
Al ears said:
Jamie Williams said:
Right just got a Project 2 Xperience SB DC turntable to go with a Onko A9010 Amp and Monitor Aodio Bronze 6 speakers to what would you say is the next upgrade to get ? was thinking of new amp but would love to hear your suggestions , have 1K to play with.....
Your source will always show the most benefit from an upgrade so I would suggest the cartridge.

If you're determined that it's the amp then try the Creek Evolution 50A.
Hi Al Ears, I was wondering what cartridge you would suggest for the Project 2 Xperience SB DC.? I bought one recently but I've got the upgrade bug again! I'm quite pleased with the Ortofon 2M Silver but I wondered what benefit I would get from an upgrade. I must admit I don't understand why some cartridges are so expensive, surely the materials used must be relatively inexpensive. However I was thinking if it does make a significant difference to the sound quality it would be worth the expense. I was thinking up to about £500 but if there is a good cheaper alternative all the better. I know from reading some of your previous posts you don't rate Ortofon that highly.

On a slightly different topic I was interested in the difference in sound when playing the same album swapping between CD and record. Obviously the CD was louder but there seemed to be better definition with the LP. That is not to say the CD was bad in some ways it sounded fuller , diffcult to explain in words. I suppose that sparked my interest in changing the cartridge as there was such a difference in the sound between CD and Turntable even more than when I changed my speakers.
 

brownz

New member
Apr 9, 2015
5
0
0
AntAxon said:
Al ears said:
Jamie Williams said:
Right just got a Project 2 Xperience SB DC turntable to go with a Onko A9010 Amp and Monitor Aodio Bronze 6 speakers to what would you say is the next upgrade to get ? was thinking of new amp but would love to hear your suggestions , have 1K to play with.....
Your source will always show the most benefit from an upgrade so I would suggest the cartridge.

If you're determined that it's the amp then try the Creek Evolution 50A.
Hi Al Ears, I was wondering what cartridge you would suggest for the Project 2 Xperience SB DC.? I bought one recently but I've got the upgrade bug again! I'm quite pleased with the Ortofon 2M Silver but I wondered what benefit I would get from an upgrade. I must admit I don't understand why some cartridges are so expensive, surely the materials used must be relatively inexpensive. However I was thinking if it does make a significant difference to the sound quality it would be worth the expense. I was thinking up to about £500 but if there is a good cheaper alternative all the better. I know from reading some of your previous posts you don't rate Ortofon that highly.

On a slightly different topic I was interested in the difference in sound when playing the same album swapping between CD and record. Obviously the CD was louder but there seemed to be better definition with the LP. That is not to say the CD was bad in some ways it sounded fuller , diffcult to explain in words. I suppose that sparked my interest in changing the cartridge as there was such a difference in the sound between CD and Turntable even more than when I changed my speakers.
I've just moved away from the 2M Silver that shipped with my 2-Xperience SB, and replaced it with a 2M Black. It's a world of difference. I found the 2M Silver just a little to detailed for my liking and rather mid/top end heavy. The 2M Black whilst keeping the detail, seems more rounded and warm.

If you're anywhere near Brizzle for the HiFi show this weekend then Henley Designs will be showing the entire range of Ortofon 2M, Cadenza and Quintet cartridges (Red/Blue/Bronze/Black) on headshells with a 2-Xperience SB S-Shape so you can compare them back to back with each other with rapid changeovers.
 

AntAxon

New member
Jan 9, 2015
47
0
0
Hi brownz, yes, you have put if far better than me it has detail but not the warmth. Somehow the CD was warmer. It is really kind of you to tell me about your experience with the 2M Black as that would be the obvious replacement. Did you fit it yourself or did you get a dealer to fit it? I must admit I don't know the first thing about changing the cartridge.
 

stevebrock

New member
Nov 13, 2009
183
0
0
My experience of a 2M Black that it is too analytical for my liking but you may prefer that and I have heard its a pig to set up too.

A lot of attention has to be paid to system matching though as it probably is very musical in the right system.

Can't emphasise enough how important cartridge / phono stage matching is.
 
stevebrock said:
My experience of a 2M Black that it is too analytical for my liking but you may prefer that and I have heard its a pig to set up too.

A lot of attention has to be paid to system matching though as it probably is very musical in the right system.

Can't emphasise enough how important cartridge / phono stage matching is.
If you want to stick to Ortofon I believe the Bronze offers best value for money.

The Quintet range are better shaped for easier set-up but unfortunately they are moving coil types and you'd need a step-up transformer of some kind which increases costs dramatically.

I always rated Nagaoka cartridges for value and all-round sound quality.
 

AntAxon

New member
Jan 9, 2015
47
0
0
It does not have to be Ortofon, its just that has been my only experience of cartridges having only bought prefitted Project turntables. I would be interested in the Nagaoka cartridges is there any particular one you think would be more suitable? I don't think I'm going to go to MC cartridges yet as I don't want the cost of getting a pre-amp.......perhaps in a couple of years.
 

stevebrock

New member
Nov 13, 2009
183
0
0
AntAxon said:
It does not have to be Ortofon, its just that has been my only experience of cartridges having only bought prefitted Project turntables. I would be interested in the Nagaoka cartridges is there any particular one you think would be more suitable? I don't think I'm going to go to MC cartridges yet as I don't want the cost of getting a pre-amp.......perhaps in a couple of years.
The MP200 has the Boron cantilever (less resonance over the MP110 & 150)

Bang for buck the MP200 is a brilliant cartridge and would be my choice over a 2M Bronze

Simply buy the best Nagaoka you can afford
 
stevebrock said:
AntAxon said:
It does not have to be Ortofon, its just that has been my only experience of cartridges having only bought prefitted Project turntables. I would be interested in the Nagaoka cartridges is there any particular one you think would be more suitable? I don't think I'm going to go to MC cartridges yet as I don't want the cost of getting a pre-amp.......perhaps in a couple of years.
The MP200 has the Boron cantilever (less resonance over the MP110 & 150)

Bang for buck the MP200 is a brilliant cartridge and would be my choice over a 2M Bronze

Simply buy the best Nagaoka you can afford
+1

For around £288 the MP200 is a good choice.

The Audio Technica AT-150 MLX is another.
 

AntAxon

New member
Jan 9, 2015
47
0
0
Thanks for all the advice guys. I fancy a change and will give the Nagaoka MP-200 a go, and as a bonus its a lot cheaper than the 2M Black.

I think I will sell my Debut Carbon to help fund it!
 
D

Deleted member 108165

Guest
Cartridges are very personal items as each has its own strengths and weaknesses, but if you fancy a Nag then this guy has a solid international reputation:

http://www.audiokazu.com/

Just add VAT to the price - no duty levied on cartridges. Ortofon prices are bad enough, but I certainly wouldn't pay UK prices for Nagaoka.

Personally I can't tell much difference between the 2M Bronze and the MP300, but I am relying on memory for the Bronze, which at my age is very suspect *biggrin* . I'm currently trialling an MP300 on my Marantz, (but I am secretly yearning to fit the 2M Black, which is currently gathering dust on the Pioneer).
 

brownz

New member
Apr 9, 2015
5
0
0
Hi, It's no easier and no harder than any other cartridge to fit, but then again I say that as I spend my day fitting cartridges / servicing turntables / amps / cd players etc etc etc. I stick to Ortofon as I know their sound, and can purchase them at a very nice price thank you very much, but also rate Audio Technica as I had their carts and stylus on my 1210s that used to get thoroughly abused. The only other carts I've listened to over the years have been BMS as I've fitted some of these at special request on customers turn tables. Nagaoka get good reviews on here by all who have listened to them so I would also consider giving them a try, I've never owned or listened to one so can't offer an opinion. I'd have a ring round and see if any of your local hifi emporiums have any of the carts you fancy available for a listen. It won't replicate your system, but it will give you an idea. I would also probably recomend a 2M Bronze over the black - the only reason I went for a black was right time right place right price ! Fitment is easy as long as you have three things - Digital stylus weight scales, alignment protractor and good eye/ears, there are plenty of guides out there in googleland, but this is as good as any - http://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/assets/_managed/cms/files/WebsiteTurntableSupportPDF.pdf

Happy fettling..... ;-)
 
brownz said:
Hi, It's no easier and no harder than any other cartridge to fit, but then again I say that as I spend my day fitting cartridges / servicing turntables / amps / cd players etc etc etc. I stick to Ortofon as I know their sound, and can purchase them at a very nice price thank you very much, but also rate Audio Technica as I had their carts and stylus on my 1210s that used to get thoroughly abused. The only other carts I've listened to over the years have been BMS as I've fitted some of these at special request on customers turn tables. Nagaoka get good reviews on here by all who have listened to them so I would also consider giving them a try, I've never owned or listened to one so can't offer an opinion. I'd have a ring round and see if any of your local hifi emporiums have any of the carts you fancy available for a listen. It won't replicate your system, but it will give you an idea. I would also probably recomend a 2M Bronze over the black - the only reason I went for a black was right time right place right price ! Fitment is easy as long as you have three things - Digital stylus weight scales, alignment protractor and good eye/ears, there are plenty of guides out there in googleland, but this is as good as any - http://www.henleydesigns.co.uk/assets/_managed/cms/files/WebsiteTurntableSupportPDF.pdf

Happy fettling..... ;-)
You should also have listed a screwdriver or Allen-key and a very steady pair of hands. :)
 

brownz

New member
Apr 9, 2015
5
0
0
Al ears said:
brownz said:
Hi, It's no easier and no harder than any other cartridge to fit, but then again I say that as I spend my day fitting cartridges /
....snipped.....
Happy fettling..... ;-)
You should also have listed a screwdriver or Allen-key and a very steady pair of hands. :)
That goes without saying of course. I keep a spare pair of caffine free hands in a locked drawer for when a tonearm rewire job comes in......
 
brownz said:
Al ears said:
brownz said:
Hi, It's no easier and no harder than any other cartridge to fit, but then again I say that as I spend my day fitting cartridges /....snipped.....Happy fettling..... ;-)
You should also have listed a screwdriver or Allen-key and a very steady pair of hands. :)
That goes without saying of course. I keep a spare pair of caffine free hands in a locked drawer for when a tonearm rewire job comes in......
Excellent idea. Removable headshells do help.
 

ASK THE COMMUNITY

TRENDING THREADS