Next upgrade (HD sound)

SpiceWeasel

Apr 10, 2008
Visit site
I have an old Denon 2105 reciever (awards winner in 2004), Mission M33i(bi-wired),M3C2i and M3DSi rears (no sub at the mo) and I use my PS3 for Blu-Rays and DVD's. It's in a room aprox 15ft x 10ft possibly a bit bigger,and I have a 42" full HD Pany plasma.

Im thinking about upgrading soon (next few months) to get HD audio but am unsure what the best upgrade would be.

I think my Denon has multi channel inputs so I could buy a half decent Blu-Ray player with multi outs and get HD that way. But am I right in thinking that things have moved on a fair amount in the sound quality deparment in the last few years with the recent recievers such as the Yammy 863.

Basically if I had say £500 to spend would I be better off buying a spangly new reciever and sticking with my PS3 for another year. Or would a half decent Blu-Ray player be better ?

Im not totally convinced that the current batch of players have enough of an improvement over my PS3 to warrant an upgrade this year. So im tempted to stick with it until next year and see whats available. Will still be used for games though.

So in nutshell, how does my Denon stack up sound quality wise against todays recievers ? Would a reciever such as the Yamy 863 be a good step up in performance terms or would it be more of a sideways move ? What would I need to spend in order to get a decent increase in performance while working well with my current speakers ?

My usuage is probably 90% movies with 10% music, but a more musical amp would be welcome.

Answers on a postcard to the usuall adress
emotion-1.gif

Right im off to cook some fajitas....hmmm

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts