Newbie set up advice requested.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi everyone

I have just bought a Pioneer PDP-LX5090. My old TV was a Sony 36" CRT so hence no HDMI connections. So please advise me how I should hook-up my system now.

My receiver is an Onkyo TX-SR605, my DVD recorder is a Sony RDR-HXD1065 and the speakers are KEF KHT1005 and I will be adding a Sky+HD to the set up.

I have always been very disappointed with my old set ups sound and have never felt I was getting anything like the best from it, and have certainly never come to grips with the Onkyos settings. So this time when setting up with the new screen, I'm going to put the Onkyo back to factory settings and start afresh with new Van Den Hul HDMI leads. Will I still have to use cables other than HDMI?

I would also like to ask, is my equipment balanced or is there a weak link? I suspect I should have gone for the Kef KHT2005.3 instead!

Many thanks in advance.

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Hi Corvid, first off nice tv,fairly straight forward, HDMI from your Sony DVD Recorder to Onkyo, AFAIK in order to get 5.1 DD from your Sky+HD you'll need to connect by Component and Optical, which still leaves you a free HDMI port for a BluRay player...........

You mention a weak link in your system, i think the missing link to make it a great system is the absence of a BluRay Player..

Your already well equipped and i think going Blu and getting HD Audio you will be very pleased with what you've got.....................

A

Anonymous

Hi Torres, yes was thinking about that, perhaps a PSP3? Thanks for the advice, so does that mean I would only have the mains lead, coaxial, and an HDMI to the screen, with everything else going to the receiver?

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
Yeah the PS3 is the BluRay player of choice (mostly) on these forums, mainly because of its other advantages, gaming, upscaler, media hub etc, etc

Its also future proof with regular firmware updates..........unless you got about £900 gulp to spare on the new Denon.....its the PS3 all the way..

You have Component (for Picture) and Optical (for Audio) from your SKY+HD into Onkyo and Sony HDMI (for Picture + Audio) into your Onkyo and only 1 HDMI Out ( This is bringing the Video and Audio from SKY+HD and Sony to your TV) to your TV.........

Torres09

Aug 27, 2008
Visit site
daveh75, thanks for claryfing that, i got rid of SKY some time ago............so maybe i should'nt be quoting on something i know little about!..............................i stand corrected

A

Anonymous

Thanks guys.
Just so I know I have all this right.

Into my receiver will go:

DVD recorder-HDMI
Sky+HD-HDMI and Optical

Into DVD recorder-coaxial from aerial

Into Sky+HD-Satelite leads?

Into screen-HDMI from Receiver
Coaxial from DVD recorder

Is that it?

A

Anonymous

Coaxial from DVD recorder to screen? No use for that I take it.

But a best possible lead from TV to receiver (coax or optical) to enjoy the bes possible sound when viewing regular off the air program. Or that too might be unnecessary if you do all the viewing off the Sky-HD box.

I don't have a set-top box myself but I chose to connect the Audio out on the TV to the receiver to get better sound in stereo broadcasts.

daveh75

Corvid:Thanks guys. Just so I know I have all this right. Into my receiver will go: DVD recorder-HDMI Sky+HD-HDMI and Optical Into DVD recorder-coaxial from aerial Into Sky+HD-Satelite leads? Into screen-HDMI from Receiver Coaxial from DVD recorder Is that it? yep, you got it

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts