Newbie requires help with choosing first Amp

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,
We have just purchased a new property and I must be also going through an early midlife crises as I am spending lots of money on kit I probably don't need.
I have already decided to purchase a pair of Scandyna Minipod speakers and Philips 46" 9000 series TV, but now need to choose an Amp to connect it all up.
Other important notes are that I would like to connect it up to my XBox and Apple TV, which both have digital audio outputs. I am not overly concerned with surround sound which is why I have only gone for 2 speakers for now.
Ideally I want the Amp to be small (or slim) and retro looking as in the BRAUN and B&O Amps. I don't like black kit (I am not rasis). Budget is around £500.
Thanks in advance, your help is very much appreciated. S

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
I would look at the Cambridge Audio DAC Magic and there AZUR range of amps, cant say that i have heard them though just going from professional and user reviews. Sound quality wise it would be a lot better than a stereo reciever or AV reciever. however if you wanted to go surround sound down the track have a look at AV recievers. keep in mind that unless you spend a lot of money on an AV reciever, 2 channel integrated amplifiers are going to sound a lot better in comparison specially with music.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
The Cambridge Azur 650A is £350 and available in silver or black. Quite slim and quite 'retro' too.

Highly favoured by all magazine reviews I had read so far.

The Cambridge Audio DacMagic is £250 (also in silver or black) so that pushes your budget to £600.

A

Anonymous

Thanks peoples. The Cambridge kit looks outstanding.

josh05

Feb 28, 2010
Visit site
yeah, i think the Cambridge kit would be great. Also the DAC will turn your X-Box in to a decent CD Player aswell. bit of a bonus :)

was just wondering if you could tell me how much the speakers you have go for they look awesome i showed a friend just before and he was interested in them.

A

Anonymous

Peachtree Nova Integrated Amplifier/DAC. Scandinavian retro looks with great performance to boot!

A

Anonymous

Josh - The speakers cost around £400 depending on colour and finish. Check out eBay and Amazon Marketplace for some good prices.

A

Anonymous

Third and it's probably my next amplifier going to be probably twice the price of the Cambridge combo in the UK but if you can as I can pay US prices for what it provides it's a real bargain Stereophile magazine product of the year 2009 I beleive.

A

Anonymous

2oldnslow:Third and it's probably my next amplifier going to be probably twice the price of the Cambridge combo in the UK but if you can as I can pay US prices for what it provides it's a real bargain Stereophile magazine product of the year 2009 I beleive.Fourth and I'll be getting one shortly I hope.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts