Newbie needs Help!!

Urchin66

Jun 16, 2013
Visit site
Hey Guys!

Currently looking at the possibility of putting together my first ever (real!) Hi-Fi seperates system, but haven't got a clue where to start.

Components will include turntable (essential) amp, CD player, (ipod connectivity would be a bonus), speakers, (with maybe a tuner or network music player to be added later)

Have recently demoed the Rocksan Kandy K2 amp/CD combo with Tannoy Revolution DC6T floorstanders, but think I kind of expected more from them (left me feeling a bit underwhelmed). Also tried the amp/CD with the Focal Chorus 714, but they had far too much top end.

I have a budget of circa £5k, and will mainly be playing rock/blues (Wildhearts, Therapy?, Thin Lizzy, Bonamassa, Metallica, Quo, Foo Fighters, Thunder/The Union etc)

The room it will all go in is approx 23' x 11'6" (fairly cluttered)

I'm looking for a full punchy sound (not overly analytical) that'll sound as good at low volume as it will when I crank it up.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!

Also wondering...any thoughts on the benfits or otherwise on sticking with one brand as appposed to mixing brands?

matt49

Apr 7, 2013
Visit site
Urchin66 said:
Components will include turntable (essential) amp, CD player, (ipod connectivity would be a bonus), speakers, (with maybe a tuner or network music player to be added later)

Welcome to the forum,

Given these requirements, if you buy separates you'll end up with quite a few boxes, which means unnecessary expenditure on casework etc. There's also a sonic/technological advantage in having your digital sources (CD and ultimately streaming) running through one DAC and governed by one clock. So it would be worth considering an all-in-one unit at this stage. Two Naim boxes might work: the Unitilite or the Uniti 2. The latter would leave you over £2K for your turntable and speakers. I haven't heard these, but I did demo the Superuniti (which n.b. has no CD player), and it's a tremendous piece of kit. Of course, not everyone likes the Naim sound. Other manufacturers also offer similar types of machine.

Matt

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
Probably an obvious pick from me

AVI ADM40 active speakers.

http://www.avihifi.com/

with sources at any budget you fancy.

The AVI forum would be a good place to start (or not).

CnoEvil

Aug 21, 2009
Visit site
Hi Urchin, and welcome to the forum.

SOURCE

- For your TT, I would be looking at Rega or Pro-Ject....which one depends on how you split your budget.

- I would advise you to go the Streaming route instead of a CDP eg. NAS + Sneaky DS

AMP

- Arcam A19

- Creek 50A / Destiny 2

- Leema Pulse

- Musical Fidelity M3i

- Sugden Mystro

- Bel Canto C5i

- Electrocompaniet PI-1 / ECI-3

- Denson B-110

Nb. Not all the above have built in phono stages.

SPEAKERS

- Kef R500

- Elan 30 / 35

- Proac Studio140

altruistic.lemon

Jul 25, 2011
Visit site
richardw42 said:

This is the new, gentler approach you guys agreed on over at the avi forum? Personally I'd go for Naim plus Neat, you won't go wrong. if you have the space, Magnepan would be better - difficult to beat for the money, the MG 12s. For turntable would have to say Clearaudio or Mitchell, both beautifully built and with the looks to boot.

stevebrock

Nov 13, 2009
Visit site
audipheonix said:
Hi!

How about a all Rega system which will give u the synergy u are looking for.

Rega Brio R Amp

Rega Cd Player

Rega Rp6

Rega RS3

yep it sounds great!

it lets you enjoy music without worrying about the SQ

richardw42

May 2, 2010
Visit site
altruistic.lemon said:
richardw42 said:

This is the new, gentler approach you guys agreed on over at the avi forum? Personally I'd go for Naim plus Neat, you won't go wrong. if you have the space, Magnepan would be better - difficult to beat for the money, the MG 12s. For turntable would have to say Clearaudio or Mitchell, both beautifully built and with the looks to boot.

i don't think its any different.

I know naff all about turntables but the Rega RP6 seems to be getting people worked up.

terminalboredom

Jun 19, 2013
Visit site
For £5K and this is what I would get (this was my system, I thought excellent at low levels and analytical in the right way although some may disagree.:)

turntable Michell Gyro SE (new) £1200 + rega cart £120

amp ATC SIA2-150 (used) £2000

CD player: Arcam FMJ CD17 (new) £650

speakers ATC SCM11 (new) (£1000)

total £4790

i would start with this then consider digital streaming afterwards once you have assessed the strengths of this system

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts