Newbie Hifi queries!

ric24271

Oct 22, 2013
Visit site
Hi all. Am new to the forum but hope somebody can help.

We’re looking to replace our grade 2 listed hifi as it’s gradually dying. Not looking for anything flash or expensive but needs to have digital radio. While we have some CD’s most of our music is on the laptop (itunes, MP3, a few torrents etc so a range of formats). I’m told its possible to play music on a wifi or bluetooth-enabled hifi direct from the laptop. My issue with this is that I assume we’d need to set up and turn the laptop on before playing anything which is a real pain (we have to pack it away when not in use due to lack of space and small kids). Can I just check a few things;

Would the laptop definitely need to be ON in order to stream to the hifi (I suspect this is a stupid question but hey)?
Bearing in mind costs, is a hifi with wifi reciever preferable to bluetooth or are they both ok?
Is there a cheap way of storing music in the hifi itself (once copied from the laptop)? Am thinking something like the Brennan but needs to be able to store other formats loaded from the laptop such as downloaded MP3’s,and not just ripped CD’s.

Hope someone can help - and bear in mind I’m a novice so jargon’s gonna confuse me (even more). Thanks in anticipation.

cannibal_ox77

Feb 22, 2013
Visit site
Probably worth investigating a network audio streaming (NAS) device hooked up to a relatively inexpensive all in one system. What's your budget? You could probably achieve what you need from around £400 (a little more if you need new speakers). Have a look at something like the Marantz mcr510/610 or the older models (mcr503/603) which you pick up for a great price on ebay new or used. There's similar cheaper systems but the marantz will give a better performance than most and should tick all the boxes.

ID.

Feb 22, 2010
Visit site
cannibal_ox77 said:
Probably worth investigating a network audio streaming (NAS) device hooked up to a relatively inexpensive all in one system. What's your budget? You could probably achieve what you need from around £400 (a little more if you need new speakers). Have a look at something like the Marantz mcr510/610 or the older models (mcr503/603) which you pick up for a great price on ebay new or used. There's similar cheaper systems but the marantz will give a better performance than most and should tick all the boxes.

Network attached storage, I believe. Other than that, good advice. A NAS would allow you to stream without having the PC on.

OP, What's a grade 2 listed hi fi?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
ID. said:
cannibal_ox77 said:

Network attached storage, I believe. Other than that, good advice. A NAS would allow you to stream without having the PC on.

OP, What's a grade 2 listed hi fi?

Reasonable advice but it does require some modest IT skills to get that up. As an Apple user I would just stream from the laptop via airplay, either via an AEX or ATV or direct to an Airplay equiped amp/reciever/system.

Non Apple streaming is beyond my capabilities but using AptX with a dongle will work with a suitable system and despite it's limitations it is fine for non critical use.

BrianTPage

Mar 3, 2015
Visit site
No-one seems able to repair a dread JVC Surround sound Amp/DVD/Tuner, so I'm left with two Speakers 50w 3ohm, and a Subwoofer 150w 6ohm. I don't need either the tuner ,or the DVD. Am I wasting my time thinking I can find an amplifier to match the speakers? If not, any ideas, or where best to look?

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts