Newbie help to select hi-fi set up

arjibarji

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Hi Guys, I am a newbie to hi-fi and wonder if you could assist please? I have a budget of £2000 to £3000 and looking to match and buy a hi-fi system. I am open to both used or new equipment. I love listening to jazz, classical and classic rock. My listing room is approx. 14.5 feet x 17 feet.

Looking for a CD/Amp/Speaker/Streaming setup. Should I go for a pre/power amp set up or a single box integrated amp? How do you match? Totally confused with the options. Do you have a recomded set-up at this price range? Any thoughts or comments to steer me in the right direction will be hugely appreciated? Many thanks.

jjbomber

arjibarji said:
Hi Guys, I am a newbie to hi-fi and wonder if you could assist please? I have a budget of £2000 to £3000 and looking to match and buy a hi-fi system. I am open to both used or new equipment. I love listening to jazz, classical and classic rock. My listing room is approx. 14.5 feet x 17 feet.

Looking for a CD/Amp/Speaker/Streaming setup. Should I go for a pre/power amp set up or a single box integrated amp? How do you match? Totally confused with the options. Do you have a recomded set-up at this price range? Any thoughts or comments to steer me in the right direction will be hugely appreciated? Many thanks.

Oppo BDP-103EU for CD and streaming. It will do DVDs as well, just in case you buy any concerts. Price is £499.

Heed Obelisk Si (mark iii) for amplifier. Full price is £1,290 but a couple of ex-demo units are available at £815.

Kef LS50 speakers. £800 + £100 for suitable speakers.

It may be a bit light in the bass for classic rock, in which case you can add the Heed X2 Power Supply. £730.

There are so many choices you really MUST audition a shortlist of the suggestions you will receive.

seemorebtts

Feb 2, 2013
Visit site
For a newbie that's a lot of money to spend but at this price you will get a great system that should last you for years.i think you should really go to a shop and listen allday to what they have.so many different types of amps and CD players that have different talents and sound.moon have just released an all in one system that got great reviews check what hifi.also I would look at rega primare Cyrus and naim these are really great products.but if I had to choose it would be
Rega amp £850 or primare i22 £1000
Dynaudio emit20 £600
Good speaker stands £200
Chord shawline audio plugs £180
Clearer audio chopper line power leads £175 x2
Cyus cdi player £1000
You can upgrade the primare i22 with a DAC and streaming for £500 at a later date
£3000
This system will be very detailed clean and fast when needed

arjibarji

Nov 18, 2016
Visit site
Thanks - jjbomber and seemorebtts. This is very useful and much appreciated. I will audition both your suggestions and will let you know how it went.

seemorebtts: you are right, this is a decent budget for a newbie. I bought my last system nearly 28 years ago for about £1300. Since then I have not kept current with developments in the hi fi world - hence the newbie tag. But I did keep buying and enjoying music Cds....

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts