New wireless set-up and story.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Good day. I would like to thank the forum for all its help
and information. And as such, now that it’s all done, I wondered if you might
be interested in my journey towards wireless streaming.

Boy has it been a steep learning curve. I came on this forum
about 4 or 5 weeks ago looking for information on how to do away with old ugly black
boxes and a stand, coupled with a long run of speaker cable.

My thoughts were at that time of an Arcam Solo with Ipod
Dock or maybe a Linn Classic sitting on a pretty silver and glass shelf between
the speakers. Trouble was I also hated the muffled sound of my old budget Wharfedale
Diamond 8.3s Floor Standers. I had a wife imposed limit of about £1200. This amount
being way more than she had ever previously considered spending on Hi-Fi.

I listened to the Solo in store with some Usher speakers. It
sounded OK but didn’t blow me away. With the Ipod dock it would have just came
in at about £1300. But then add stands.

Then I was told on here about the CA Azur range in silver
and I auditioned some at home for a week. An Azur amp with some KEF Q5SE
Floorstanding speakers. Using my old Arcam Alphas 7SE (in graphite which would
have spoiled the look). This sounded pretty good, but not the crystal clear
clarity that I was looking for. Anyway by now I was also being told about Bit
Perfect Wireless Streaming. And about stand alone DACs. Airport express, Sonos,
Squeezebox. So while I was at the store, and strictly on the understanding it
could all be taken back within a week if I decided against it. I also home
auditioned the CA Dacmagic and the Sonos 150 Bundle.

As it turned out I never got to hear the DAC as the Sonos
was the wrong kit for my needs. But I did get the Sonos to work by using it to
power the KEFs. I and more importantly my wife loved the function of the Sonos,
and the way it freed up 1000s of tracks on the PC. Album art meant she can
browse and select easily. (I have always tagged religiously over the years). I
would also mean being able to get away without the graphite grey CD player ruining
the look of the Azur DAC and Amp sitting between the speakers. What I needed
would be about £1400.00.

Running tandem with this train of thought, I was
investigating some speakers that had been recommended to me by a fellow forum
member originally. This as a way to do without boxes and give a very accurate uncoloured
sound (I have slight hearing loss and would trade any amount of warmth/colour
for clarity). This was the AVI 9.1 speakers. I started reading other stuff
around about active speakers in general. About the sound they give the fact
that they are used in studios a lot. The AVI 9.1s also have a built in DAC.
Which would be one less thing to buy/house. However, rather than be wowed by
some of the fanatical reports elsewhere and after digging up old threads on the
web involving disputes between various factions. It made me more cautious. So
off I trekked to try to actually hear some of these.

Now it’s true to say I have never owned high end hi-fi. But
I had at least heard 2 other systems worth more than the AVI speakers in the
previous fortnight. I had booked a listening room and they were set up as
requested to play lossless music from a PC via Sonos. I, personally, have never
heard music, that I already know, sound like this. All at once, during the
first track I knew what imaging and soundstage meant. The musicians seemed to float
in front of me. I could hear the very breathing of the singer and the change in
timbre (even imperfections) as they sang. Night and Day as audiophiles like to
say. So that’s what it means. I had no hesitation in ordering some there and
then.

But what to do about the wireless? While I had been waiting
to audition the AVI speakers I had been digging around on here and elsewhere
for more info. It seemed to come down to three options. Sonos, Apple Airport
Express and Logitech Squeezebox Duet. Airport Express was out as it has no
controller and I have no Ipod Touch or Iphone to control it. I had liked the
Sonos but it was expensive and I had long since worked out that as I already
have a wireless network and that my PC is only 18 foot around a corner in the same room as my
speakers that I wouldn’t really get the benefit of it. So I thought I would try
the Squeezebox. Well, I was lucky. It set up straight away for me. Many have
had issues as it works off of your existing wireless network and that can make
it more complicated and more unstable than the Sonos, which sets up its own
wireless network.

I did have to download some updates to firmware. I also had
to make some setting changes to the Handset Controller and now it works
perfectly. As good as the Sonos (for me, and in the way I use it). But only £220
for the Squeezebox against nearly £700.00 for the Sonos. It wasn’t just the
money. I figured that things do fail (hardware) and certainly technology moves
on. And that the cheaper option would enable me to look again at the market in
a few years time. But I would say, for hassle free stable multi-room I would
have gone for the Sonos. It just wasn’t needed for my set-up.

The squeezebox (and Sonos) has an optical digital out which
connects to the optical in on the master speaker. So, as I understand it, used
like this with an accurate lossless music file like FLAC or Apple Lossless
there should be CD quality. I completely agree with that as I have rigged up
the Arcam Cd player with the AVI speakers and could hear no difference between
that and the wireless streaming.

The computer is a newish black widescreen Dell. This sits
around the corner on a desk. But of course could be moved anywhere else in the
house as long as you have a decent wireless signal.

Our Cd collection has been ripped in FLAC. Other tracks and
albums on the PC vary from 128 kbps MP3s to Lossless. However, I am finding
that with this setup the bitrate is not half as important as the actual
original quality of the recorded music. With these speakers you get exactly
what is on the track. This can be seen when switching from a lovingly re-mastered
track of an old favourite or album to an older copy or heaven forbid a ‘best of’.

It’s not that you can’t enjoy them; it’s just a bit of a
shock when you switch from one to the other. But give you ears/brain a minute
and they sound great again. This works especially well when listening to
streaming internet radio or Napster via the Squeezebox. But play a well
recorded lossless track again and you are surprised all over again.

Here are some Photos below of my kit. There really isn’t much
to look at. Which is exactly what I wanted. I just didn’t know when I started
all this that I could get it. And get the best quality sound I have ever heard.
And bring it in on budget. (Give or take a few quid.
emotion-5.gif
)

IMG_2452.jpg

IMG_2444.jpg

idc

method man:

......... However, I am finding that with this setup the bitrate is not half as important as the actual original quality of the recorded music..........

I really like this quote. If you can get a setup that is more revealing of the original recording than the bitrate, then you have a very good setup IMO.

I also like your descriptive and the pictures, which show an uncluttered, discrete way to have good hifi. No disrespect to many of the immense systems shown on the forum, but for many they are not practical.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
thankyou guys

idc, i seem to remember you and LHC gave me the first pointers early on.

today I stuck the optical cable in the back of the sky+ box and watched private ryan. i was shocked once again how good it sounded.

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
Good on you mate. A wicked discrete set up that sounds awesome and is straighforward for all to control. Sounds perfect! What speaker stands are you using? Atacama?

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi Lord. They are actually Partington Dreadnoughts. Which i had not considered before coming on here. But they seem to do so well for everyone. As you can see. in real life non studio shots they dont look half as industrial. I also got them second hand fairly local via ebay.

lordmortlock

May 21, 2008
Visit site
method man:Hi Lord. They are actually Partington Dreadnoughts. Which i had not considered before coming on here. But they seem to do so well for everyone. As you can see. in real life non studio shots they dont look half as industrial. I also got them second hand fairly local via ebay.

Ah I remember you mentioning the purchase now. They look great - like you say not as stream driven/industrial revolution as they do in mags.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Ive done a couple more pics. not great with a camera. but im trying to show the lovely duet controller graphics and screen. I keep finding new things to enjoy like the 1000s of radio stations. The duet seems to have them if you search on the name. and a logo to go with them. or you can type in an url. or browse through genres or countries etc. oh and a more what hi-fi worthy pic of the speakers...

IMG_2463.jpg

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
method man: thankyou guys
idc, i seem to remember you and LHC gave me the first pointers early on.

today I stuck the optical cable in the back of the sky+ box and watched private ryan. i was shocked once again how good it sounded.

No worries, glad to help, for once.

Might I ask what price you paid for the AVIs? I'm quite interested in these myself but I don't know how you'd integrate them into a surround setup, especially as there's no equivalent centre channel model.

Messiah

I asked Ashley about integrating them into a home cinema set up and he basically said there was no centre speaker that would match. He advised to just use the fronts and a sub (which I am going to do as it still sounds great!) and if you want the full surround package it is best to run the system with no centre and let the fronts do the work as the soundstage they produce will be fine.

Method Man - those speakers look excellent in that finish!!

Messiah

Yeah with the Analogue Pre-outs. They still sound excellent through this connection though admittedly not as good as using the digital input.

Saying that though I will be connecting up the Beresford DAC later so it will be interesting to see how they sound then.....

A

Anonymous

Hi Method Man (into the Wu Tang Clan by any chance?)

Great looking system. This is what I'm looking at doing. Doing loads of research at the moment on NAS, Sonos/Squeezebox. Not heard the AVI's but I like the idea of the amp/dac/speaker all in one combo. NAS will be first buy and will then have the task of burning over 1500 Cd's. Once thats ticking along will get either Sonos or Squeezebox. I will then run that will my current set up to see how I get on. Then I will look at AVI's. They will sit in large spare room until I'm completly satisified with them. If all goes well I will then sell current set up and move AVI downstairs and look at other speaker options for other rooms. This is a long term project but looking at your set up will want to get this going once summer is out of the way.

Cheers

Jay

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
to the LHC , They are £1125 on AVI website direct. plus £50.00 for Rosewood as an extra.

I got mine from bartletts Hi-Fi in Islington. I wont post price, as its POA. But I used them.

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
I have now added a squeezebox boom onto this system. it has its own IR remote but as I have the duet, i can use that one, so exactly the same album art and functionality of the previously described system. As im already up and running. I only had to turn it on point it to the right router/network and it was intergrated as part of my system. i can sync it to play with the main speakers for a party. or control it seperately.

SQ is excellent in the bedroom. I certainly have never had a better portable.

,T-G-168244-3.jpg

A

Anonymous

thanks for the link method man. great amounts of info. can i ask again, only as i've read it somewhere, but do these sound bass light at all? I'm not into huge amounts of bass by any sorts, but just wondered...

Also, and i'm sure this has been mentioned many times before, but if i may ask you, does the computer need to be on for the squeezebox to be able to access the music(i'm assuming so). and do you know if it can access it direct from a NAS so the computer doesnt have to be on?

The other option is to just use airport express and control it direct from laptop i guess?

method man

May 18, 2009
Visit site
Hi mate. For me personally. They are not bass light. But i too hate too much bass. Even at live concerts.

I went to see terry callier last month at the union chapel. and i could hardly hear a word for the constant rumble. Instead what you get with these is very very tight controlled bass. As in you can hear the chords/tune of the bass rather than just bass itself. However, some have said that for them after years of their old systems it did seem light to them so they bought the woofer. me, i already know that I will never need it. personal taste really. I have played UB40 12bar to test the musicality of the bass, both on demo and here at home and its there. just more refined. it starts and stops if you know what I mean .

yes your PC/laptop need to be on. But you can use a NAS with the computer off. But its best to buy one that has had the squeeze stuff already put on and sorted apparently.

if you use AE, you can use the ipod touch or iphone as a remote. i had neither so went for the squeezebox. I like it so much that we are ordering the squeezebox boom for the bedroom.

Micky, cant do links on here to other forums. But its pretty easy to find the site and forum of the logitech squeezebox. they have a whole section on NAS. (something I know nothing about right now). I dont even know why so many people want to be able to turn their Pcs off. LOL. i will get to it no doubt.

harveymt

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Anyone know anywhere in Northern Ireland the AVI's can be auditioned? I'll be in Glasgow a bit over next couple of months too. Could do Edinburgh at a stretch.

Re: Home Cinema Set-up. I take it if you used these it would be a 4.0 or 4.1 system?

A

Anonymous

I am sure active speakers could be used easily for home cinema.

Just connect pre outs from a processor or receiver to five "slave" speakers.

The potential dynamics would be incredible.

harveymt

Jul 17, 2008
Visit site
Also, not to open a cable debate, but has anyone tried replacing the supplied power cables of the ADM 9.1s with some fancy dan ones? Did it make a difference?

shado

Aug 22, 2008
Visit site
Method Man: if you click on options tab on page 2 of Your System then a drop down menu will bring up all posts where I managed to retrieve this for you.

An audition of these is my next port of call, I am hoping they will allow Sevenoakes to borrow temporarily so that I can compare it against Cyrus 6XPd Amp and KEF IQ30 Spkrs in a Sonos setup.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts