new TV, max £2,000...?

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
Hello, as per my thread below, my 40" Sony has gone to the LCD farm for a better life...

I had been holding-on and holding-on waiting for OLED, but it has come in so slowly. As it stands, there is only one set within range - the 2016 LG 55B6 (£1599).

Now I know it's all 4k this, and 4k that - but currently there are precious-little 4k content. I don't "do" sky.

My current sources are FreesatHD and Netflix, so I really am focussed on what works well with HD rather than 4k (I know that 4k content will increase, but it's unlikely to be the maintstay for 2-3 years).

Due to a very expensive bespoke cabinet, I'm limited to TVs that are max 123cm wide (so that's pretty much any 55" or below). I'm currently on a 40" and would actually prefer not to go to 55", but that is the starting size for OLED so I'm willing to make the jump.

PQ and usuabilty are the only concerns - I've got an AVR so won't ever use the inbuilt speakers.

So.... here's the question - what else should I look at?

thanks for your thoughts!

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
The 2017 OLEDS will be on the shelves soon so there should be some good bargains on 2016 models.

One thing to check is will the set you buy get a HLG update as that is HDR over TV and you will want that in the future I am pretty sure.

The 55 Oled you mention I saw in Argos the other day. Looked really nice. Was about £1600 in there

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
thanks BB and gel (waves at gel - not sure why the bouncer won't let you into my thread!)

Will look at both (but sadly cannot do until after the weekend - a recently bereavement in my wife's family, the cleaner's son being in a car accident, a 4 year-old's birthday and the influx of my parents this weekend means that telly buying has been bumped down the priority list...).

Although I think I like the B6 design a bit more. I have no need of the 3D (stigmatic eyes means 3D doesn't really work properly for me) and the soundbar is unneccessary/ugly. No-one seems to know whether one is actually better pq (some say the same and others say the e6 is much brighter, but without assessing calibration). Will go to Currys and see for myself.

thanks all.

TRENDING THREADS