New TT - Advice Needed

suixt

May 2, 2016
Visit site
I thought it might be a good idea to get some input before I pull the trigger and buy a new TT.

My system consists of a Parasound HINT stereo amp with a pair KEF LS50 and I look to buy a good TT that on one hands is not the bottleneck in the system but does not become an overkill too.

I was initially looking at the Clearaudio Concept (with MC cart) but wanted to hear your thoughts and recommendations as well.

thanks!

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
I see no problem with the Concept. It's a well made TT with good tonearm and Clearaudio is the maker of my favourite cartidges. At least, you know you will need a fitting phono preamp that has the ability to be adapted for MC's ? I don't know your parasound, but this would be a point to check.

They are numerous serious TT's in this category (1580 Euros) and I believe that everyone will recommend you his own favourite one ; in style, colour or sound (or all together). I would, like always, experiment what the market can offer me.

Accoustic solid wood 111, for 1'479 Euros (with rega303 tonearm and cartidge) can be an alternative and there is nothing lot to say about it, with the exception that it's a wonderful TT :

Classic_Wood.jpg

Some will recommend you the polish Nottingham analogue Interspace. But I don't like their arms and find them set-up to be a little dark from the scratch. But it has tonal qualities (authority) unseen on some concurrent products, this is sure.

Some will recommend you the Rega RP6, that is quite a performant fellow :

platine-vinyle-manuelle-rega-rp6.jpg

I prefer him the Funk Firm Little Superdeck, even if the tonearm is quite a strange construction at first sight, it performs superbely with high performance MC cartidges (around 1'500 euros with tonearm) :
funkfirm05.jpg

On this forum, we have numerous Inspire audio lovers. And some Quest users that are very happy with their TT's :

75d0daaf2034ee9eb946e06bb3cc88d9.jpg

So, in generall, the market is full of good TT's in the price range you decided. The Clearaudio is one good of many other good choices. *dirol*

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
The only bottleneck that I'm seeing in your set is the KEF LS50. You probably choose them for a reason, andI will not criticize that, anyway, there are massive more competent speakers around. But even with their restrictions, you will be able to hear the improvements of a good turntable (my opinion, probably not shared by everyone).

Nothing wrong with your speakers when used in an ideal location, also you do not need a phono preamp as the Parasound Halo has one inbuilt as you are probably aware. I would, however, steer clear of low output moving coils when using the MC stage of the Halo.

The Clearaudio is a good package, however I would suggest at this price point you look for a good moving magnet cartridge instead. That just my opinion though. What exactly would your upper budget be?

suixt

May 2, 2016
Visit site
Great feedback! thanks a lot both.

Well, I actually have at the moment a rather basic tt with MM cart and I'm not very happy hence the upgrade thoughts. Interestingly enough every single HINT review I've read claims that the MC phono stage is far superior, so I'd be interested in giving it a go. On the other hand as you suggested, it might just end up being an expensive failed experiment.

Regarding the upper limit, that depends really. Maybe 2k or 3k max, if I am convinced that what I get is a bargain. For instance, one of the options I am considering is the RP8 or a Clearaudio Performance. However I cannot really make the call if they are worth double the money.

I do not have a clear end goal (I guess like many people here), but I am interested in slowly upgrading parts and moving the bottleneck to another part etc. When I got my speakers I couldn't even imagine that they might be the weak link in my system but I still think they are bang for the buck and probably the best I could get at that time.

suixt said:

Well, I actually have at the moment a rather basic tt with MM cart and I'm not very happy hence the upgrade thoughts. Interestingly enough every single HINT review I've read claims that the MC phono stage is far superior, so I'd be interested in giving it a go. On the other hand as you suggested, it might just end up being an expensive failed experiment.

Regarding the upper limit, that depends really. Maybe 2k or 3k max, if I am convinced that what I get is a bargain. For instance, one of the options I am considering is the RP8 or a Clearaudio Performance. However I cannot really make the call if they are worth double the money.

I do not have a clear end goal (I guess like many people here), but I am interested in slowly upgrading parts and moving the bottleneck to another part etc. When I got my speakers I couldn't even imagine that they might be the weak link in my system but I still think they are bang for the buck and probably the best I could get at that time.

That's a good amount for a turntable. Not too sure where in the world you are so uncertain as to what you can get for that sort of money. There is no reason you shouldn't try a moving coil if you think the amplifier is up to the job.

For my money I would be looking at spending on something like the RP6 rather than RP8 and putting money towards the best cartridge you can afford being aware that nearly all moving coil cartridges cannot have the stylus replaced.

NSA_watch_my_toilet

Aug 24, 2013
Visit site
Al ears said:
suixt said:

That's a good amount for a turntable. Not too sure where in the world you are so uncertain as to what you can get for that sort of money. There is no reason you shouldn't try a moving coil if you think the amplifier is up to the job.

For my money I would be looking at spending on something like the RP6 rather than RP8 and putting money towards the best cartridge you can afford being aware that nearly all moving coil cartridges cannot have the stylus replaced.

Funnily, I will recommend you exactly that too. Rather to go for the RP8, you will be in a safe heaven with the RP6, and this will let you more money to invest in a performant MC cartidge. I don't believe it will be a failed experiment. At least not with the contestant involved, good tonearms and cartidges. My opinion on this is, that in turntables, you have it for the money you are ready to pay for, and the 1'500 euros category is having lots of capable, well made TT's, without real big compromise of any kind.

TRENDING THREADS