NEW TELEVISION - Advice/recommendations welcome

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
I am going to buy a new TV.

TV will be wall-mounted.

Main inputs will be Sky+HD and BluRay (also running/upscaling DVDs); via my receiver.

Receiver is running a 5.1 system.

I'm aiming for a decent HD TV, around 46-50 inch.

I don't run 3D or 4K yet, but wonder if these will become the standard in a year or two - so I'm not ruling them out if there's a decent option out there.

Budget will be up to about £800.

ANY RECOMMENDATIONS/ADVICE/SUGGESTIONS? Fill your boots!

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Thanks simon.

Can you elaborate on why you would suggest stretching?

(I know there is, to a degree, a correlation between amount you pay and what you get for your outlay - but I'm interested in your opinion.)

I'm currently leaning towards the Samsung UE48J6400 - award winner, reportedly excellent performance, decent connectivity options, and available as low as £550. The JU7000 is pretty much DOUBLE that; and, in the short term at least (12-24 months) I'll still only be running Sky+HD and Blu Ray [+upscaled DVDs] through the system.

Feb 13, 2015
Visit site
Anyone able to shed light on other manufacturers' screens?

Any really good Sony screens that compete with class-leading Samsungs?

I'm wary of Panasonics for two reasons - 1) this rapid flicker issue that was around a year or two ago and only affects some, not all, people.....I think it would annoy my migraine-prone eyes; and 2) I've got a 22" Pana screen in my bedroom and, granted, its only putting out SD but the SD is poor. In short, my opinion of pana's has gone downhill over the last 5 years.

D

Deleted member 2457

On Sky HD this Panasonic will be great:

http://www.johnlewis.com/panasonic-viera-tx-50cx680b-led-4k-ultra-hd-smart-tv-50-with-freeview-hd-and-built-in-wi-fi/p1961422

D

Deleted member 2457

Review of the Panasonic here:

https://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-cx680-tx-50cx680b-4k-ultra-hd-tv-review.11857

D

Deleted member 2457

gel said:
Review of the Panasonic here:

https://www.avforums.com/review/panasonic-cx680-tx-50cx680b-4k-ultra-hd-...
Bump.

Series1boy

Oct 14, 2013
Visit site
Rob Hamilton said:
Anyone able to shed light on other manufacturers' screens?

Any really good Sony screens that compete with class-leading Samsungs?

I'm wary of Panasonics for two reasons - 1) this rapid flicker issue that was around a year or two ago and only affects some, not all, people.....I think it would annoy my migraine-prone eyes; and 2) I've got a 22" Pana screen in my bedroom and, granted, its only putting out SD but the SD is poor. In short, my opinion of pana's has gone downhill over the last 5 years.

panasonic have been producing flagship PDPs and LCD TVs for years. Their latest lcds have had excellent reviews and are producing near plasma deep inky blacks. Other than this, OLED is the way forward.

i own the plasma 50" VT and a 46" pz85b and are exceptional TVs. Don't listen to all the reviews because all TVs have their flaws. Go and view for your self..

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts