New speakers Required.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi there,

First post on here so fingers crossed someone can help me out ?

Having bought a Cyrus set up last year ( 8v2 Amp / 6 CD) I have decided it is time to change my speakers. It is a heart wrenching decision as my Mordaunt Short Classic 20's have served me well for almost 20 years now. Even though I still quite like the sound of the speakers I am in no doubt that they have had their day.

Having read endless reviews I have a reall leaning towards the Mordaunt Short mezzo 6's ( maybe I am just being sentimental about my old Mordaunt Short's :) ). My problem is living in the glasgow area the only place that stocks them is Richer Sounds which means no chance to demo them.

I have demo'd a few others, Rega 5 / B & W 684 / B & W 683 of which the 683's were the best of the bunch.C.D's used for testing were richard Hawley / Guru's jazzmatazz / David Arnold (James Bond Project) / Rhythmstick / Jeff Buckly / Santogold / Ozric Tentacles / Paul Simon / The Hot Spot Soundtrack (John Lee Hooker,Miles Davis) / Judgement Night Soundtrack / Morrissey and Amy Winehouse. As you can see I need something that can shine with a wide variety of music.

I am looking for a speaker that gives a true and faithfull rendition of the music rather than an altered interpretation of it which is the impression I have had of the speakers tested so far.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received ? Does anyone have a similar set up with the Mezzo's ?

My Budget is £1000ish.

Cheers,

eternaloptimist

Mar 29, 2009
Visit site
Hi,

I have the Cyrus CD 6SE and 8vs2 amp with B&W 683 speakers. I love the sound. I previously had Arcam gear into the B&W and the combination was a bit subdued. With the potentially brighter Cyrus into the more "neutral" (some would say boring but not me!) B&Ws the balance sounds lovely. I have played in orchestras for years and would say the sound produced isn't colored (to my ears).

I have hear the Cyrus 6 CD player versus the 6 SE and the difference is very noticeable. Would you consider also upgrading the player to the 6SE specs? I am in Oz, so have no idea what the UK upgrade cost would be (probably significantly cheaper than here :( ).

Just my 2 cents.

D

gbhsi1

Mar 5, 2008
Visit site
Have you thought of buying the NEAT MOTIVE 2'S? great speakers. They are floorstanders, but they are really small. Give them a try. Also suggest trying the totem arro's. The neat's are under your budget & the totem's are bang on at £1000.

I listen to a variety of different kinds of music, just like you, and my motive 2's are brilliant!

sergeboards:

Hi there,

First post on here so fingers crossed someone can help me out ?

Having bought a Cyrus set up last year ( 8v2 Amp / 6 CD) I have decided it is time to change my speakers. It is a heart wrenching decision as my Mordaunt Short Classic 20's have served me well for almost 20 years now. Even though I still quite like the sound of the speakers I am in no doubt that they have had their day.

Having read endless reviews I have a reall leaning towards the Mordaunt Short mezzo 6's ( maybe I am just being sentimental about my old Mordaunt Short's :) ). My problem is living in the glasgow area the only place that stocks them is Richer Sounds which means no chance to demo them.

I have demo'd a few others, Rega 5 / B & W 684 / B & W 683 of which the 683's were the best of the bunch.C.D's used for testing were richard Hawley / Guru's jazzmatazz / David Arnold (James Bond Project) / Rhythmstick / Jeff Buckly / Santogold / Ozric Tentacles / Paul Simon / The Hot Spot Soundtrack (John Lee Hooker,Miles Davis) / Judgement Night Soundtrack / Morrissey and Amy Winehouse. As you can see I need something that can shine with a wide variety of music.

I am looking for a speaker that gives a true and faithfull rendition of the music rather than an altered interpretation of it which is the impression I have had of the speakers tested so far.

Any suggestions would be gratefully received ? Does anyone have a similar set up with the Mezzo's ?

My Budget is £1000ish.

Cheers,

Hi sb

If you want a true and faithfull reproduction of your music at around the £1k level and would also consider a bookshelf design than you could try ATC's SCM11 speakers. They will not have the same level of LF response or scale of the floorstanders but in most other areas they'll probably show the others a thing or two. The ATC's have a clean, precise, neutral, uncoloured, powerful and natural presentation. They also work well with Cyrus.

http://www.atc.gb.net/scm11.htm

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Cheers for all the suggestions,

I will try to demo the speakers suggested.

As I said I was most impressed with the B & W 683's, the problem I had with them was I found the bass slightly overwhelmed some of the music. the best example of this was with Richeard Hawley who has a very low bassy voice. At times the vocals seemed to blend in to the bass rather than rising above it. I am wondering if this is an indemic problem with floorstanders being slightly overly bassy ?

In my humble opinion
emotion-1.gif
the bass should be tight, solid and cohesive but not overwhelm the music ?

A.T.B.

SB

A

Anonymous

I don't think that the ATC's SCM11 and your Cyrus gear will work well together t be frank. The ATC speakers (the SCM11 in particular) are very transparent but at time sound harsh. Coupled with the Cyrus CD player and amp (less so if you upgrade to your to SE) you will probably end up with a rather unsatisfactory combination. You'll be getting a very clear presentation but not a very pleasant one. Would people agree?
I think getting good and balanced speakers for £1000 is a rather tall order. Perhaps you could listen to slightly more expensive speakers to help you get perspective. I have the Harbeth Super HL5. They cost £2000 but I think you'll love them especially with your Cyrus gear. Alternatively, the Dynaudio Focus 220 could work for you. They have the B&W softness but they are more precise and controlled.

Hi d_c

The ATC's not harsh. They have low distortion levels and therefore are (amongst other qualities) uncoloured, neutral and natural. We have sold ATC speakers that have been partnered with many different components and yet in most cases ATC speakers have surpassed the performance levels offered by the products they are replacing by a considerable margin and then some.

The ATC's are simply quiet and great messengers.

Thanks

Rick @ Musicraft

A

Anonymous

Sorry to have started a bit of an argument
emotion-10.gif
!!

I have just undergone what can only be described as a complete revelation ! " I BELIEVE, I DO BELIEVE"

Having allways been something of a sceptic when it comes to the difference a cable upgrade can make to a system. I am now a total believer. I have just changed my old speaker cables for some new Atlas Equator BiWire cables. "WOW" My old Mordaunt Short Classic 20's have thrown away their zimmer frame and are now behaving like a teenager overdosing on pro plus
emotion-1.gif

The difference is quite remarkable. Primarilly the level of clarity, definition and seperation.

I think I may just hang on to the old Classic 20's for a while yet. By the time I get overly familiar with the new sound I will have saved a few more pennys and be able to look at higher level replacement speakers.

Cheers for all the advice given so far.

A.T.B.

SB

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts