New speakers or AV receiver?

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

dave_k

Aug 26, 2009
Visit site
matthewpiano said:
Looks fine to me. Have you experimented with trying different amounts of toe-in towards your listening position? How much to toe your speakers in depends on the room, where you are in relation to the speakers, and your preferences. There are no real hard and fast rules so worth experimenting with.

I wonder whether putting a nice thick rug on the floor might help things a bit.

Nice TV - Sony W4500??

Was also going to suggest a rug! What about moving the speakers out from the wall a little?

I think I'd buy a subwoofer first, then a centre, then rears, then upgrade the amp last.

A

Anonymous

ThanksI think it is the Sony W4500: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl40w4500-20081116135.htm. Its a 45inch. We were originally going to buy a Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090, but its just a bit too expensive and at the time they going out of production unfortunately. Those TVs were true Pioneer TVs as the whole TV was entirley made by Pioneer even the pannel itself, now its not the same.Toe-in? What is the definition of Toe-in? Do you mean move your speakers out from the wall a little bit?In regards to adding a rug, I think it would be nice but that decision is up to my parents, although I personally like the look of the natural oak wood flooring being exposed.

Thanks

I think it is a Sony W4500: http://www.hdtvtest.co.uk/news/sony-kdl40w4500-20081116135.htm. Its a 45inch LCD TV.

We were originally going to buy a Pioneer Kuro PDP-LX5090, but its just a bit too expensive and at the time they going out of production unfortunately. Those TVs were true Pioneer TVs as the whole TV was entirley made by Pioneer even the pannel itself, now its not the same.

Toe-in? What is the definition of Toe-in?

In regards to adding a rug, I think it would be nice but that decision is up to my parents, although I personally like the look of the natural oak wood flooring being exposed.

Thanks for the suggestion in relation to a rug.

A

Anonymous

/sites/whathifi.com/files/images/IMG_0086.JPG

Hi,I have pondered about moving my speakers from the wall a bit, but I have a concern which I need to express.A few inches away from my speakers lies a fire, I am worried that if I move my speakers even closer to the fire they will receive heat generated from the fire. In regards to additional speakers at the moment I will not be adding any new additions (speakers), due to the fact that my most members have said my AV amplifier is the weakest link in the chain, not the speakers. Some members have even further elaborated and said "Your amplifier may not be able to drive them properly." Why would you upgrade the AV amplifier last?Thanks for the suggestion in relation to a rug.

Hi,

I have pondered about moving my speakers from the wall a little bit, but I have a concern which I need to express.

A few inches away from my speakers lies a fire, I am worried that if I move my speakers even closer to the fire they will receive heat generated from the fire.

In regards to additional speakers at the moment I will not be adding any new additions (speakers), due to the fact that my most members have said my AV amplifier is the weakest link in the chain, not the speakers. Some members have even further elaborated and said "Your amplifier may not be able to drive them properly."

Why would you upgrade the AV amplifier last?

Thanks for the suggestion in relation to a rug.

matthewpiano

Looking at this new photograph I suspect you are seated too far away from your speakers. The ideal is to establish something like an equilateral triangle between your listening position and the speakers. Being so much further away from your speakers than they are from each other won't be helping things at all. As an experiment try sitting a bit closer so that you form said equilateral triangle and see what a difference it makes.

A

Anonymous

Between me and my speakers there is a distance of roughly 14 and half feet. Is that distance too far away? In relation to sitting closer, I have experimented with that and found no difference at all.

Between me and my speakers there is a distance of roughly 14 and half feet. Is that distance too far away?

In relation to sitting closer, I have experimented with that and found no difference at all in terms of sound quality.

The distance between each individual speaker is roughly sixth and half feet. An equilateral triangle is a triangle in which all three sides are equal.

To illustarte with images.

Where the Ipad is located, marks the sixth and half feet mark. That would be just too close in my opinion.

/sites/whathifi.com/files/images/IMG_0088.JPG

Heres where I sit and is the primary listening position.

/sites/whathifi.com/files/images/IMG_0087.JPG

A

Anonymous

Hi,I was just wondering - why cant I edit certain posts?

Hi,

I was just wondering - why cant I edit certain posts?

Thanks

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
malooq said:
My budget is: £400

My current configuration, consists of Monitor Audio BX2s

I have owned a pair for quite some time and found them to be an accomplished speaker and satisyfying, in the sense of doing stuff and having attributes of a higher end speaker. They do everything to a high acceptable standard with the ability to pick detail at a level which is unseen at this price..... Their weakest attribute is base

If you like the sound of the BX2's but just want more bass then all you need is a sub woofer. The Monitor Audio BXW10 is the obvious choice because it's designed to be used together with your BX2's so you know that it will integrate well. It costs £405 which is perfect for your budget too.

Here's a link to the WHF review of the BX2 5.1 setup which uses the BX2 and BXW10 together. www.whathifi.com/Review/Monitor-Audio-Bronze-BX2-51

A

Anonymous

Hi,I enjoy their sound but improved or more bass is not a necessary requirement, although it would be nice to have.In the future I plan to progress into 5.1 setups and more demanding speakers, if I decide to keep the BX2s I could always add a Sub-woofer at a later point in time, if I have decided to choose a new AV amplifier. The majority of people in the forum has spotted that my AV amplifier is the weakest link in the chain not the speakers. Im bewildered as to what to choose: BXW10, BX center, BX5 or a new AV amplifier?Thanks for your informative response.
Hi, steve_1979

I enjoy their sound but improved or more bass is not a necessary requirement, although it would be nice to have. In the future I plan to progress into 5.1 setups and more demanding speakers, if I decide to keep the BX2s I could always add a Sub-woofer at a later point in time, if I have decided to choose a new AV amplifier. The majority of the people in the forum has spotted that my AV amplifier is the weakest link in the chain not the speakers. Im bewildered as to what to choose: BXW10, BX center, BX5 or a new AV amplifier?

I noticed in your signature that it mentions you have a Yamaha RX-V667. I know Yamaha are more of musical amp. How does it perform with music and movies?

Im presuming I cant purchase the speakers which I listed into my thread, due to my AV amplifier performance?

Thanks for your informative response.

steve_1979

Jul 14, 2010
Visit site
malooq said:
I noticed in your signature that it mentions you have a Yamaha RX-V667. I know Yamaha are more of musical amp. How does it perform with music and movies?

I'm don't know what it's like for movies because I only use it for music and games. The RX-V667 does sound great with music though.

A few months ago someone on this forum said that they'd heard the RX-V667 together with the BX2 5.1 setup and they were impressed with the results.

A

Anonymous

Could someone shed some light on this "Im presuming I cant purchase the speakers which I listed into my thread, due to my AV amplifier performance?".

Thanks for that Informative information.

matthewpiano

Nothing to say you can't but you won't get anything like the best out of B&W 685s, MS Mezzo 2s, MA RX1s, or KEF Q300s with the amp you currently have. You won't be hearing what your BX2s can do either.

A

Anonymous

Hi,That only leaves me with one option. To upgrade my current AV amplifier.Could someone suggest some AV amplifiers for me to look at?
Thanks

That only leaves me with one option. To upgrade my current AV amplifier.
That only leaves me with one option. To upgrade my current AV amplifier.Could someone suggest some AV amplifiers for me to take a look at?Thanks NOTE: Strange indeed, but for some reason when I try to add spaces it automatically re-corrects them.

A

Anonymous

Hi, ear

Could you elaborate, in what way are the BX5s more musical and why are the BX2s dull?

Could you elaborate, in what way are the BX5s more musical and why are the BX2s dull?Thanks Could you elaborate, in what way are the BX5s more musical and why are the BX2s dull?Thanks

A

Anonymous

Re: ear

What are you powering them with? I share a completely different opinion.Thanks

What are you powering them with? I share a completely different opinion.

Thanks

matthewpiano

The last thing I would accuse the BX2s of is being flat. I'm finding them to be very 3 dimensional sounding and involving. Neither am I finding them to be particularly bass light. Funnily enough when I first heard them on the end of the 6003 electronics at a dealer about 8-9 months ago I did find them a little light in the bass for some things, but here at home I'm finding they perform very well in this respect. The only differences are the room itself and the cabling. They don't boom with huge monster bass like B&Ws can but what they provide is of very high quality, tuneful and with plenty of depth.

I stand by my earlier advice to change the amplifier for something better. The BX2s really do deserve to have a good quality amp driving them.

I think Yamaha's AV Receivers would be a good starting point but do also look at the latest Onkyo models too.

A

Anonymous

While I agree the consensus, I haven't received that many suggestions or opinions about AV amplifiers.I have been exploring various well renowned brands for their latest amplifiers.I am currently considering these:Yamaha 1067 Denon 2311 Pioneer VSX-1020-K Yamaha 767 Harman Kardon 360 Onkyo TX-NR609
While I agree with the consensus, I haven't received that many suggestions or opinions about AV amplifiers.

I have been exploring various well renowned brands for their latest amplifiers.

I am currently considering these contenders:

Yamaha RX-V1067

Denon AVR-2311

Pioneer VSX-1020-K

Yamaha RX-V767

Harman Kardon AVR 360

Onkyo TX-NR609

I am leaning slightly more towards the Yamaha 1067 due to its specifications and at a substantial discount. However it is the last years model and is discontinued.

As always your thoughts and opinions are welcome.

A

Anonymous

I am in a similar situation. I have a BX2 for front speakers (rear Wharfedale 10.0, center 10CS ) , Pioneer VSX-1018 and decided to add a NAD C326BEE. I use the Pioneer as a dac and preamp at the moment, but I am planing to add a MF V-dac in the near future.

I don't think your the onkyo has preouts (too bad). Maybe you should consider something more powerfull, musical and warm. I don't think an av receiver does justice for BX2. I would not go for PM6003(PM6004) or the Yamaha AS-500 (too clinical and detailed for the metal tweeter). The c326bee has a powerfull, punchy and well controlled bass and I think that is exactly what the BX2 need.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts