New Sonos S5 system set up (and in record time)

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Already set up with an external DAC (CA's DacMagic) and an Airport Express to stream straight from my laptop's HDD into the stereo amp, I have just gone one step further in reducing the number of boxes while trying to keep the sound quality as hi-fi as possible. I bought an Sonos S5 after auditioning one during my lunch hour a couple of weeks ago, and it will soon completely replace my current system (the DAC is already gone).

I received today the NAS (1TB Buffalo Linkstation). Setting this up was definitely the easiest thing I've ever had to set up on a computer. Then it was the turn of the Sonos device. Again, child's play (and I'm not the last one to ask for tech support on here - thanks Prof and JD for your help and patience while trying to get the AE working in the past). I already had the Sonos app on my iPhone and that was very quick to get up and running. Altogether, it took me less than 45 mins to install all the devices from scratch for what is for me the ultimate (budget) wireless set-up. It is all I've wanted: practical, convenient, and easy for anyone in the household to put some music on. Those CDs can stay in storage a little bit longer. All that needs doing now is move many GB's of lossless audio files onto the NAS drive. And update that sig. ;-) Totally happy!!

Dan.m

Nov 16, 2007
Visit site
Momo72

I am also looking to purchase a sonos and NAS set up. I am interested in the controller, S5, zone bridge and ZP90 (to connect to my hifi set up). I currently use itunes to play through my laptop from an external hard drive (and yes the sound is poor!).

1) where did you buy your NAS from and what was the cost.

2) how did you set it up. Is it........plug into mains - hard wire into router via ethernet cable - switch on - If I have a wireless laptop how to I communicate with the NAS (will my laptop just recognise it as and external drive?) - how do i transfer my i tunes library (currently on an external hard drive ) to the NAS box (is it as simple as copy and paste).

3) Once set up what settings do i need to alter on i tunes to ensure any new CD's I rip will be imported to the NAS.

4) Does sonos operate via itunes or does it somehow just pick up your music files??

Any help welcomed. I really fancy sonos to release my music around the house. I dont seem to play CD's that often anymore. I prefer the convenience of the sonos over the better sound from my hifi set up. The setting up concerns me a little but your comments are encouraging.

Cheers

Dan

A

Anonymous

Dan.m: 1) where did you buy your NAS from and what was the cost.

The NAS drive was ordered from Amazon at their "normal" price, something like £115.

Dan.m: 2) how did you set it up. Is it........plug into mains - hard wire into router via ethernet cable - switch on - If I have a wireless laptop how to I communicate with the NAS (will my laptop just recognise it as and external drive?) - how do i transfer my i tunes library (currently on an external hard drive ) to the NAS box (is it as simple as copy and paste). .

The Buffalo Linkstation installation was as you wrote. It comes with an install CD, just let it run its course, click "Next" when prompted. The s/w does everything for you. Once the set-up is complete, open the "NAS Navigator" app and map the new drive (Windows gave mine letter L:), once that's done it's now part of the network and you can start moving your files across. Wireless transfers can take ages, so I need to look into wiring my external HDD in the NAS via USB.

Dan.m:3) Once set up what settings do i need to alter on i tunes to ensure any new CD's I rip will be imported to the NAS.. I would suggest changing in Preferences where the audio files go when importing CDs to the new drive (as I said, your NAS when mapped will be showing as a new drive so that's quite straightforward).

Dan.m:4) Does Sonos operate via itunes or does it somehow just pick up your music files??. When setting up the Sonos, you will installing on your laptop the CD that contains the Sonos Desktop Controller, and you will be asked during installation where you music library is (… la iTunes). I guess it's probably best to move some of your music onto your NAS before you install the Sonos s/w on your pc.

Dan.m: Any help welcomed. I really fancy sonos to release my music around the house. I don't seem to play CD's that often anymore. I prefer the convenience of the Sonos over the better sound from my hifi set up. The setting up concerns me a little but your comments are encouraging.

Cheers

Dan

I totally agree regarding the convenience that Sonos provides and I can't see myself going back to CDs till I can afford a dedicated listening room with some half-decent kit. Sonos doesn't offer hi-fi sound, but it's still very good for the size of the unit. Don't forget you're also getting lots of extras like Internet radio, music services such as Napster, Last.fm, etc. which IMO is a lot more than my CD player can offer me.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
momo72:I totally agree regarding the convenience that Sonos provides and I can't see myself going back to CDs till I can afford a dedicated listening room with some half-decent kit. Sonos doesn't offer hi-fi sound,

Not from the S5 no, but then it was never designed to replace hi-fi, however a ZP90, with suitable DAC into a decent amp should be able to get pretty close, with lossless files. Is that not something you could have done Momo? I don't know what gear you had before but if you had a CD player then presumably you had an amp as well at least, the cost wouldn't have been much different and the sound quality should have been close to what you had before (given that it's the same amp and speakers).

A

Anonymous

the_lhc: Not from the S5 no, but then it was never designed to replace hi-fi, however a ZP90, with suitable DAC into a decent amp should be able to get pretty close, with lossless files. Is that not something you could have done Momo? I don't know what gear you had before but if you had a CD player then presumably you had an amp as well at least, the cost wouldn't have been much different and the sound quality should have been close to what you had before (given that it's the same amp and speakers).

The Sonos S5 has allowed me to get rid of a lot of boxes to help declutter the living room. My DacMagic has got a new home already, and I will most probably get rid of my CA amp, the speakers and the Airpot Express which I no longer need. And hopefully all the proceeds will also more than cover the cost of this new all-digital wireless set-up. What I will no longer be able to do is connect the Wii and our telly to the amp for that extra bit of sound quality and ooomph.

A

Anonymous

i thought that this system was really good. i have never had any problems with it.

A

Anonymous

the_lhc:So you're happy to trade the sound quality for less boxes? Fair enough...

My "old" system consisted of second-hand sourced speakers fed by my Blu-ray player via a DAC. The sound was more than okay I guess. I used to live then in a 3-bed semi with a large living room, 4m x 10m maybe. Now we're a comparatively tiny 2-bed flat with a living area around a quarter or less of what I used to have. Clearly the old system was overkill and inadequate for the size of the room (IMO), not to mention that nearly all of our CDs are in storage due to lack of space.

This "new" system doesn't provide hi-fi sound, but it offers other benefits such as freeing up some living space, giving us access to millions of internet radio stations (okay, maybe thousands...). Fed high-quality digital files (atm I using Apple Lossless format files), the S5 sounds very impressive and suddenly becomes great value for money.

I won't miss the kit I'm getting rid of (I think), after all it's just a few boxes of electronics and they're disposable as far as I'm concerned. The most important to me is that we rediscover the enjoyment of listening to some music.

The_Lhc

Oct 16, 2008
Visit site
momo72:the_lhc:So you're happy to trade the sound quality for less boxes? Fair enough...

My "old" system consisted of second-hand sourced speakers fed by my Blu-ray player via a DAC. The sound was more than okay I guess. I used to live then in a 3-bed semi with a large living room, 4m x 10m maybe. Now we're a comparatively tiny 2-bed flat with a living area around a quarter or less of what I used to have. Clearly the old system was overkill and inadequate for the size of the room (IMO), not to mention that nearly all of our CDs are in storage due to lack of space.

This "new" system doesn't provide hi-fi sound, but it offers other benefits such as freeing up some living space, giving us access to millions of internet radio stations (okay, maybe thousands...). Fed high-quality digital files (atm I using Apple Lossless format files), the S5 sounds very impressive and suddenly becomes great value for money.

I won't miss the kit I'm getting rid of (I think), after all it's just a few boxes of electronics and they're disposable as far as I'm concerned. The most important to me is that we rediscover the enjoyment of listening to some music.

I understand, but a ZP120 would have given you exactly the same access to internet radio and allowed you to use your existing speakers (without the amp) for possibly a more "hi-fi" sound (presumably with the smaller room the speakers would have been less inadequate? I don't know I've never heard those speakers to be honest), although it is 50 quid more than the S5, which is a little odd, all things considered, I'd expected it to be cheaper, I think I'll shut up now...

TRENDING THREADS