New set up......

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hello,

I'm looking to put a complete new system in my living room, my room is about 18ft by 16ft with high ceilings. I listen to a lot of music so i was thinking of maybe getting a ONKYO TX-SR606 amp to power some B&W 685 Theatre speakers. I was also going to invest in a good in television maybe a SONY KDL-W4000, would this set-up give good surround sound aswell or would you recommend something else??

A

Anonymous

i would say it would be about 70% music 30% home theatre, i haven't got a good high def video source but that is also on the list to buy. But i do have a good set of decks and cdj, no amp though that's why i thought the onkyo would be a good investment?? but i'm well open to suggestions and advice.

John Duncan

The reason I ask about high def sources is to decide whether you want to take advantage of the high def sound available from them. If not, I would be more inclined to get a proper stereo amplifier (which will walk all over the Onkyo) and add an older 5.1 amp to cover the surround duties.

For the 400 quid an Onkyo will cost you(st from a quick Google, there are beter deal I'm sure) you could get a Marantz PM7001 (just as an example) and an older 5.1 amp with preouts (Yamaha DSP-AX620, say) from eBay, which will give you great music and reasonable surround. What this will not give you is upscaling of any standard def sources (so you'd have to leave your telly to do that), or handling of the higher res sound formats available on Blu Ray.

But if music is your main squeeze, it's the way I would go.

jd

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the advice that has just opened a whole new way of thinking for me. Sorry but i've one last question what kind of speaker set up you recommend??

A

Anonymous

yeah agree with that, even traditional speakers bought on a budget on ebay will trounce most lifestyle speakers, even expensive ones

professorhat

Dec 28, 2007
Visit site
If music is most important, get some decent stereo speakers to match whichever stereo amp you choose (or vice versa), then base your surround speakers around whichever stereo speakers you get e.g. if you go for B&Ws, look at the other B&W speakers in that range, if you go for MAs, look at other MAs in that range etc. etc.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts