New Rega RS speaker range

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I was initially interested in the Rega R5 speakers, but have just found out that a new "RS" range is imminent (via PDF). Should see good discounts on the soon to be replaced range.

I wonder whether What hi-fi will be reviewing the new range?

A

Anonymous

Afraid not, it was sent to me from a local dealer - I'm not sure if we are allowed to post dealer names but.... they are based in Congleton, Cheshire. I am sure they will send you the PDF if you mail them.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
I would not worry about that too much. I see dealer links and manufacturer links quoted here all the time.

Rega are past masters at the 'leak' (to dealers) which then gets spread virally and hits all the forums and generates interest.

If Rega did not want this info getting out then they would not send it to their dealers until it was absolutely necessary. Some dealers are the biggest gossips on internet forums.

It used to be called 'word of mouth' now it is called viral marketing.

This is exactly how news of the P3-24 limited edition coloured version and the new Elicit got around. I am sure Rega approves as it generates a 'buzz' amongst their customers and potential new ones.

A

Anonymous

Naturally, I just wasn't sure whether is was against forum rules to mention Synergy in Congleton as the source of the PDF.
emotion-15.gif

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
This is driving me crazy. I'm starting to think that Bert is a marketing spy from Rega, building suspense before the release!

WHF team, have you heard anything about this?ÿ

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
On the current R3 and R5's the little black spiked plinth at the bottom is unobtrusive and tapers off towards the rear of the cabinet base. On the strength of the picture above it looks like Rega have gone for little plastic 'buttresses' which don't look unobtrusive at all.

Also (to save costs?) it appears they are using the same grilles over the forward facing and side facing speakers. To me this looks a bit of a mess and I prefer the current radiused rectangles at the sides. Also - on the picture above - the forward facing grilles do not meet flush to the side or top edges of the cabinet.

All minor stuff and probably not important to the sound but in my opinion it fails ‘sthetically.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
How much?...

http://www.signals.uk.com/Resources/rega%20pricelist%20Oct%202008.pdf

So the new RS3's are £698 against the R3's which cost £500 RRP.

(I got mine for £400 ex-dem and mint with 36 month warranty from a local official Rega dealer.)

That is a £200 price hike from R3 to RS3!

I think they are going to have to be some 'killer' speakers given how good the R3's are. I am so glad I bought my system when I did back in the Spring. I would not be able to justify £698 on a pair of uglified RS3's that are £200 more than their predecessor's full RRP.

batonwielder

May 13, 2008
Visit site
Thank you, Chebby. You are right. I'd better jump on an R3 before it's too late. I'm not really partial to its looks, but the price hike is just not acceptable. That's about $400 jump for me! I'm curious to find out how it would sound though.

I have a question. Do you guys already have the new Elicit amplifier out in UK? My dealer here in the US says it won't be out until next year. If that's the case I might have to wait a year before I get a chance to listen to the new RS speakers.

A

Anonymous

Price hike is absurd. What gave the R series such an edge over everyone else was that they gave quality other makers wouldn't give up without prising a few hundred more from you. To me, unless these things are significantly better, the Rega's will just dissappear into the pack at this price.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts