New Purchase Price/Percentage Ratio --> Speakers, Integrated Amp, DAC

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the What HiFi community: the world's leading independent guide to buying and owning hi-fi and home entertainment products.

rana_kirti

Oct 24, 2009
Visit site
Guys,

thanks for the suggestions. I went out and tried out some Active Monitors as suggested by some members here. Here are my impressions...

1. Dynaudio BM5A Mk ii

very smooth sounding and a very balanced speaker which did everything well. i liked it.

2. Dynaudio BM6A Mk ii

i liked the BM5A Mk ii more for some reason.

3. Adam A7x

The vocals were just superb and the imaging was beautiful... but for everything else i found them to be bright/forward. I want easy on the ears kind of speakers. But i have to say again the vocals were just delicious.....!!

4. Genelic 8030A

- had a more involving sound than the BM5A Mk ii with lesser bass. They made the BM5A Mk ii sound dull and boring. then the rep said listen to the 8040A.

5. Genelic 8040A

- had everything the 8030A had and also had better bass due to larger driver. They would be my top pick among active monitor. These also were the most expensive at almost twice the price of the 8030A.

However my experience with Active Monitors has not been very impressive. I kind of didn't like the sound of studio monitors for normal music listening. I'm now more inclined towards a regular Hi-Fi speakers + Stereo Amp + DAC combination.

- I like an easy on the ears, smooth kind of sound which is comfortable to listen for long hours. Basically fatigue free listening.

- At the same time i'd like the sound to be involving & exciting with a melodious character with a bit of detail. Taught bass with excellent vocals is preferred. I'm willing to add a Subwoofer. ( separate budget )

- I don't like clinical or bright sounding gear. I get instant discomfort from a harsh/bright/forward sounding speaker/amp combination. Almost makes my ear ring and gives me a headache. Probably my ears are very sensitive to treble.

My source will be PC and this will be a desktop setup.

I'd like to welcome suggestions for a Speaker ( Book Shelves ) + Amp + DAC combo from members here. Budget = £ 1500

Regards,

Rana

paradiziac

Jan 8, 2011
Visit site
How about a good, musical amp and a cheap pair of vintage speakers (older gear might be tuned more to your stated tastes)?

I think you'd be surprized how much better fairly cheap speakers can sound with really good amplification.

I have a Sugden Mystro that I picked up ex-demo and love it. I've still got my first budget hifi speakers from 20+ years ago, and they sound far, far better with this amp compared to the budget amps I used with them in the past. Not the last word in detail, but very musical and easy on the ear.

Not sure what else I'd suggest, something like a Leema Pulse (look for ex-demo)? It also has a built-in DAC, if you like that idea?

TRENDING THREADS