New PS3 Price

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Is it just me or is the new price PS3 not such a great deal?

The old PS3 used to cost AU$983 (435 Pounds)and you got a 2nd controller and 2 games.

The new is AU$685 (303 Pounds) and has no games, 1 controller, less features and no PS2 compatibility.

I was keen on getting on this year but I am not overlly thrilled with the new model and price. Do you get a better deal in the UK?

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
It depends what you're buying a PS3 for. Here in UK, the full-featured model now costs £349, with the basic model £299. I strongly feel the latter is aimed at growing the Blu-ray market than the gaming one - you're not going to worry about PS2 compatibility or a 2nd controller if you're primarilly going to use it for movie watching.

I can't wait for our test on the £299 PS3 vs the £350 (available for £270) Toshiba EP335 HD DVD player (coming up in our December issue, out November 15th)....

A

Anonymous

[quote user="Conway"] less features and no PS2 compatibility[/quote]

thats incorrect homes! u just connect it to the internet and update the system and u got ps2 compatibility just like mine but still some games dont work like hitman bloodmoney for example

A

Anonymous

Is that an offical PS3 download or a crack?

I double checked the Australian PS3 site and it says it isn't compatible. If there is a crack out that would be cool. It isn't a big deal, but as I have a PS2 and the Mrs likes to play the games, it would be a pain to have 2 machines hooked up.

I think I'll go ahead and get a PS3 for Xmas...

A

Anonymous

£299 PS3 has no backward compatibility. The £350 version had no chip inside and could only play via update on the playstation network. The £299 version has stripped that out too! If you wanna get a ps3 for blu ray, then by all means. But consoles are not made for extensive movie watching, the original ps2 messes up if you watch too many. PS3 will always be a second rate gaming console that has blu ray as an excuse to get stock off the shelves! If your a gamer then get a Xbox 360.

A

Anonymous

Your posts come across as very fan boy. The PS3 will clearly not "always be a second rate gaming console". The 360 is not without its issues: it's notoriously unreliable and unless you want to add a seperate cooling system notoriously noisy. If you want to spec it to the same level as the 60GB PS3 you need to spend almost as much money, and you still will fall well short on the graphics capability. A number of games designers have stated that they have only touched on about 20% of the PS3's power so far.

The PS2 was responsible for putting a DVD player in a lot of houses and at least partly responsible, because of this, for the success that DVD has enjoyed. The PS3 is more than capable of doing the same for Blu-ray

No one would argue that at the moment the 360 has the games, but I don't doubt that that situation will change over time.

The 360 is a fine machine, don't get me wrong, but only a fool would write off Sony in the way that you seem liable to do.

A

Anonymous

Does anyone know the cheapest place for a PS3 now?
thanks

A

Anonymous

Walk down the highstreet and take your pick. The prices are all much of a muchness.

If you're a gamer, however, I would wait a bit until the return of rumble in the form of the Dualshock 3. Already on Play-asia, but they're not yet shipping to Europe - it should be in the shops shortly however. If you're not that fussed about rumble, then the savvy shopper might be able to negotiate a discount if they find themselves in the right place at the right time.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts