New Panasonic DMP-BD80 Blu-ray player

pioneer7

Jul 26, 2008
Visit site
(DMPBD80)

dmpbd80_300.jpg

This May be of interest

Panasonic DMP-BD80 Blu-ray Player. BD Live, VIERA Cast on line media access. 1080p/24 output and HDMI scaling to 1080p. PHL Reference Chroma Processing and Full HD audio streaming.

Full details of the UK spec of this player are yet to be released but the DMP-BD80 continues the Panasonic tradition of very high quality playback of the Blu-ray format and a host of advanced features.

Processing still includes the PHL Reference Chroma Processor Plus, developed in association with Panasonic Hollywood Laboratories. This system ensures the colour rendition of the player is vivid and faithful to the original film. P4HD processing takes this processing one step further and processes more than 15 billion pixels per second, optimising each one. Motion of each pixel is detected and processing applied to keep motion smooth and judder free as well.
This all sounds very complicated but thankfully all you need to do is put in a disc and press play, sit back and enjoy the superb picture.

No Movie is comprised of picture only and the sound is therefore not overlooked on the players. The BD format is capable of supplying high definition audio as well as HD video. If your associated equipment can handle the raw bitstream then the player will simply send out the audio in the datastream on HDMI.
However a decoder in the player can convert this to 7.1 PCM if required or supply the sound via a 7.1 analogue output. Whichever suits your system best.
CD and other audio can be remastered at 96kHz to enhance playback.

VIERA Cast is a new feature which allows media to be streamed from the internet through the player onto your monitor without using a PC. The BD live function brings content specific to the movie you are watching direct form the studio's BD live server whereas the VIERA Cast is web browsing from within the player. The framework of the system only allows browsing of certain sectors and has launched with access to a few providers. As time goes on more will make their content available. Expected at the outset for the UK release are:

• video on demand from Eurosport
    YouTube™
    Google's Picassa™ Web Album
    Bloomberg.

Additional content from Amazon and and The Weather Channel may be available soon.

The VIERA Cast menu is the easy to use interface to the supported media and simply updates itself as content becomes available.

A

Anonymous

Any word on what's replacing the BD35? I'm not sure whether to hold out for it's replacement (BD40/50/60??) or whether for the £200 price tag, go for the BD35 if it's going to be 95% as good as its replacement. Ah, Decisions!!

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
The Panasonic DMP-BD60 replaces the BD35- we've got a BD60 in for review (arrived late yesterday afternoon), so that'll make it into our May issue, out first week in April.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
Jarnesque:I'll wait then!

i got fed up with the brain strain and just went for it. you can find it below 200. just fyi, in case you're as impatient as me. And the bd60 will initially be around 150 more, wo'nt it?

A

Anonymous

Yes, fair point and I'd previously earmarked the BD35 on Amazon. How are you finding it - particularly with upscaling standard DVDs?

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
I'd love to tell you. I'm sorry, its only a day old and Ive only looked briefly at a couple of blurays*, which - due to lack of experience with other BDPs, i can only say showed my tv in its best light so far.

Sorry
emotion-2.gif
!

A friends' ps3 showed dvds better than my previous dvd player (panny s52), so i can only hope ill get decent dvd performance out of it - i certainly have heard and read good things.

EDIT * This is a lie. I saw a bit of the Cloverfield DVD, but its a very dark film so maybe not the best test to use.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts