new (or 2nd hand) speakers for Marantz m-cr603

robdmarsh

I have a Marantz m-cr603 and I'm still amazed by how good it is. My speakers are old (Celestion 3) are very good too but I'm drawn to the idea that I could get even better sound. I tried Wharfedale Diamond 220s and a pair of Monitor Audio Bronze 1, neither of which I liked. I'm very tempted by Rega rs1. Would these be a good match for the Marantz?

Rob

robdmarsh

Thanks for the recommendation. Dali zensor 3 I've heard and liked but they were a little on the large side (they were deep and I'm guessing they would need quite a lot of room to breathe). B&W 602s are too big imo. I wouldn't mind small floorstanders, on the other hand, Rega rs3 if I could find a good price for used.... I reckon you're not a fan of Rega rs1 as you don't comment on them.

rainsoothe

You won't find decent floorstanders within that budget, and, to be frank, the Dalis match Marantz perfectly. Also, on their manual, Dali state that they're designed to work when close to a wall. Of course, 15-20 cm would improve things, but placing them close-ish to a wall shouldn't be that big of a problem. If those seem too large, you could always go for Dali Zensor 1, but you'd be missing on some bottom end.

chebby

Jun 2, 2008
Visit site
robdmarsh said:
OK, interesting. What price do you think decent floorstanders start at and would you include Rega among them?

I used an excellent old pair of Rega R3 floorstanders with an M-CR603 for over 4 years. Look around on ebay for a well looked after pair of Rega RS3s (you should still find plenty of NOS examples floating around).

Thompsonuxb

Feb 19, 2012
Visit site
If you're happy to go used look for a pair of Mission 731's....

Many years ago I gave a pair to my sister inlaw when I upgraded. Heard them over the Xmas (she still uses them and refuses to give them back) but these little boxes sound way bigger than they look and sound really impressive and are discreet.

They'll cost around 10 to 30quid now but are genuine gems. I was genuinely stunned by them.

Worth looking up.

robdmarsh

Thanks Thompsonuxb

Sounds like the Missions could be another gem like my Celestions, which are still pretty amazing. The only thing they don't do is scale. Just missed out on a pair of Rega rs1 on Ebay. Gutted as good price. But then I want articulate speakers but also a bit of punch and may be the Regas aren't it. Also looking at Dali Ikon 5 (few examples going on Ebay) and maybe Zensor 3s. As you can see, I've got speaker mania!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts