new mag rubbish

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
ok what goin on a great cover lovely woman then a very slim mag till we get to the best buys section ? we need more reviews not articles about the first cd player or old audio tapes. We want the future not the past. And why a page of the stuff we can see on here streaming video but in picture form in the mag ???? A real bad effort this month guys and gals cummon we deserve better

A

Anonymous

Actually I'd be quite interested to read an article about the first CD player. Just popping out to the shops...

daveh75

nokz:ok what goin on a great cover lovely woman then a very slim mag till we get to the best buys section ? we need more reviews not articles about the first cd player or old audio tapes. We want the future not the past.Actually i like the "i remeber when" section at the back of the mag!nokz:And why a page of the stuff we can see on here streaming video but in picture form in the mag ???? Err, maybe,just maybe, there are readers that just buy the mag and dont come on the website/forums who would like to see it.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
Sorry you feel that way, Nokz.

Re thin-ness of mag - 105+ pages of editorial in each and every issue; slimmer because of less ads (you may have noticed there's a recession on!)

Re old vs new - there's a single, inside back page feature called 'I Remember When' in our redesign, which was introduced due to feedback from this Forum and other research re fondness for looks back.

But with features in the new issue on everything from iPhone applications and the world's first Blu-ray recorder, to universal remote controls, we're hardly stuck in the past.

Re the page on system-matching advice, including still from How To video here - that serves several purposes. Firstly it's a good overview of a key topic for magazine readers who don't want to watch a video (and yes, we've research that says that suits a lot of people); secondly it's bringing our range of videos to the attention of mag readers who may find them useful, but who haven't yet discovered them.

With you all at different buying stages; varying new products available to test at any time; and our desire to cover a wide range of subjects over the year, there may be issues of the mag you prefer over others. Rest assured we continue to work as hard as possible to make each issue as appealing as possible (with or without Megan Fox!)

A

Anonymous

Everyone has opinions clare (spelt your name right again)and im just voicing mine . Dont get me wrong i love the mag and all it stands for and the passion you guys (and girls xx) have for it . I support the shows (bristol and london) even though we shouldent have to pay to see whats basically folk trying to sell us stuff.
I havent noticed theres a recession on but if less ads why not more coverage ? (of megan fox )

A

Anonymous

Personally, I really like the new format. The only thing I'm missing is the reader rescue page (or can I just not find it in the last issue) as it always made a good read.

Alec

Oct 8, 2007
Visit site
qwerty69:Personally, I really like the new format. The only thing I'm missing is the reader rescue page (or can I just not find it in the last issue) as it always made a good read.

No, it is, alas, gone. I liked it, but its not a deal breaker; some of the other changes more or less make up for it for me.

A

Anonymous

Nokz, you're outnumbered I think.

And if women on pages are priority, I'd suggest looking at the higher shelves.

Or maybe finding a live one.

Clare Newsome

Jun 4, 2007
Visit site
nokz:
I havent noticed theres a recession on but if less ads why not more coverage

I'm glad you're being unaffected by the recession! However, plenty of companies are, which means less advertising everywhere.

Sadly, when this happens we don't get extra staff and resources to keep producing bigger mags with more editorial pages. What we are doing, as previously mentioned, is committing to a nice juicy chunk of editorial (and a thriving website); far more than rivals offer.

Trefor Patten

Mar 31, 2008
Visit site
Fewer ads Clare, surely! ÿAnyway, here's a vote in support of the new-look mag I like the nostalgia features, the reviews and the photography. I would be even happier without Megan Fox, but then I probably would not have said that 20 years ago (It's my age you know....). ÿKeep up the good work.

John Duncan

Andrew Everard:Have to admit to not even knowing who Megan Fox is. And that's certainly symptomatic of my age...

She'll be some slip of a girl half our age, AE (since nobody was called Megan before 1991).

visionary

Apr 4, 2008
Visit site
not true, my mother-in-law is called Megan
emotion-1.gif

Big Aura

Oct 13, 2008
Visit site
There's nowt wrong with that Ms Fox (but I have no clue who she is - Transformers girl, perhaps??)

On the look back - that CD feature was really interesting (first CD player I ever saw was my Aunty Maureen's in 1985). I'm sure you've got a stock of stuff to look back at, but hopefully we'll see first disc-man, remote controlled telly, plasma, VCR etc in coming months.

I haven't finished reading it all yet - but did the reader-focus group cover how the various processing technologies work with SD? It seemed to feature just blu-ray (but I've only glanced over it).

Thomassteele

Sep 26, 2008
Visit site
I can remember my grans first remote control telly over 30 years ago, all it had was an on/off button and a channel up and a channel down button.

Andrew Everard

May 30, 2007
Visit site
Thomassteele:I can remember my grans first remote control telly over 30 years ago, all it had was an on/off button and a channel up and a channel down button.

You know the story about the late Queen Mother having one of the first remote control TVs delivered to Clarence House?

The chap from the company explained about the remote control, which was about the size of a brick, and pointed out that by pressing a button one could change channels.

The QM thought for a moment, then said "I think I'll stick to ringing the bell"...

A

Anonymous

touche andrew love that . Anyways i thought the mag was rubbish EDITED BY MODS and i will hope next month improves ... loving the forum mind

woodster

Jun 24, 2007
Visit site
I honestly think that the magazine has moved from strength to strength. There is some very serious breadth to the hifi/audio visual/wireless/pc&mac driven digi music that the magazine does well to cope. In fact I believe that the magazine spans areas covered by other magazines catering for all sort of tech genres, this is a good thing, well In my opinion at least.

What Hifi is a good value and informative one stop shop, carry on the very excellant work.

Ps Truthfully glad there is less advertising content, I can store more back issues in less space!

Andy Clough

Apr 27, 2004
Visit site
woodster:
Ps Truthfully glad there is less advertising content, I can store more back issues in less space!

Not sure our commercial team would agree with you on that one Woodster! But glad you like the mag.

Gwyndy

Jul 20, 2007
Visit site
Clare Newsome:
Sorry you feel that way, Nokz.
Re thin-ness of mag - 105+ pages of editorial in each and every issue; slimmer because of less ads (you may have noticed there's a recession on)

Firstly, I have to confess that I cancelled my subscription back in January. I only buy the specials now, combination of the swing towards Visual and MP3 type products and the fact that for two years I was constantly chasing the subscribtions department over non-delivered Ultimate Guides.

Having said that I would like to try and put some perspective on this, as a student, I subscribe to the BBC History Magazine, 96 pages, 16 of which are adverts and it costs £3.60 an issue. And that's published by a publicly funded organisation.
Simple economics, as with newpapers, the magazine doesn't cover it's publishing cost through the cover price, thus, the more pages of editorial you have, the more adverts have to be in there to pay for it. If you want a better, bigger editorial, demand more adverts, at least most of them are at the back of the magazine.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts