New life into old equipment?

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a Arcam Alpha 6 Amp and Mission 751 speakers that I bought in the mid 90's. Due to the birth of my son they have been in the loft since 2000. Now my son is older I want to return to the world of proper hifi and was wondering if I should get them serviced and find a new CD player, or plump for a new system. My budget is ~£350. I was contemplating the Marantz CD6002 or Cambridge Audio Azur 640C V2 if I kept the amp and speakers. Does anyone have any advice on which would sound better with the Arcam and Mission? If I was going for a new system I was thinking about the Cambridge Audio setup which was reviewed in Jan's What Hifi or the Onkyo CR515 and MS 902i that I've seen on offer. I know the real answer is to go and audition them, but at this price point, some of the retailers I've contacted don't seem interested. Thanks in advance for any advice.

A

Anonymous

What is the cd player you have now? The cambridge cd player is chaper and would leave you more money to put towards a new amp or speakers.Performance wise i have not heard the marantz but i suspect there is not a great deal in it. i dont like arcam amps so i would change that, although i am not the most objective when it comes to arcam amps.

A

Anonymous

I've been through Cambridge Audio 640A, 740A and 840A, Pioneer ..A9, home demo'ed Primare I21 and store demo'd Arcam A80 and A60 which I didn't like. The 640A disappointed, I liked the 740 and loved the 840! The Pioneer I hated and the Primare had a sweet top end but no punch down below. But after all that, guess what I'm on..? An old Arcam Alpha7! Anyway - mine is used with a Cambridge Audio 640Cv2, which I'm very pleased with, but not heard the Marantz so not in a position to say which would work better. Sorry - not very helpful afterall!

A

Anonymous

[quote user="bloney"]I've been through Cambridge Audio 640A, 740A and 840A, Pioneer ..A9, home demo'ed Primare I21 and store demo'd Arcam A80 and A60 which I didn't like. The 640A disappointed, I liked the 740 and loved the 840! The Pioneer I hated and the Primare had a sweet top end but no punch down below. But after all that, guess what I'm on..? An old Arcam Alpha7! Anyway - mine is used with a Cambridge Audio 640Cv2, which I'm very pleased with, but not heard the Marantz so not in a position to say which would work better. Sorry - not very helpful afterall![/quote]

Well there you go.hi fi is just so subjective.I have a 640A amp and a good friend has an alpha 7.I think the 640A absolutely kills the alpha in every respect. I do know that my friend has a marantz cd player and it goes well with the alpha 7 amp.The alpha amps had a tendency to souch a bit warm and lush so i honestly think the cambridge audio cd or the new marantz would go v well.I would go for whatever you can get for the least, if you definitely can't get a demo.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts