Dear all,

First of all merry Christmas! Secondly, I'm new here, on the forums anyway, so nice to meet you!

I've recently bought a new house and after all works have been finished it's time to get my music&TV corner setup.

What I'd like from my new setup:
Stream video from NAS to TV
Stream/play music on soundbar/speakers/... from NAS/youtube/phone/.. without the neef of turning on the TV and controlled by tablet/phone/laptop.

So far I've read a lot and I have to say I really like the whole sonos concept but at €1400 for only a playbar and a sub and a closed system that's really quite expensive. So I was thinking it might be better to get an amp/AV receiver and some dedicated speakers? I've also looked into the sonos connect for all my streaming and playback wishes but that's already a whopping €350.. Videowise I imagine the yet-to-be-bought 55' 4k TV should be able to stream from the NAS?

For the record: 5.1 or up is not really an option since the sofa is against the wall and I'm not a big moviefan anyway. Anyway I'm really hoping there are some folks out there willing to guide me thru all this:) budget for audio-setup is around €1000. What I do have is a netgear readynas 102, some lousy Pioneer bookshelf speakers and a now broken amp from the prehistoric age.

Thanks so much!

I'll try to reply asap to any questions but currently I'm in Argentina for work.

Edit
I hope it's in the right forum as this kind of falls in between home cinema and HiFi.

tino

Sep 29, 2011
Visit site
PJ Dercon said:
Dear all,

First of all merry Christmas! Secondly, I'm new here, on the forums anyway, so nice to meet you!

I've recently bought a new house and after all works have been finished it's time to get my music&TV corner setup.

What I'd like from my new setup: Stream video from NAS to TV Stream/play music on soundbar/speakers/... from NAS/youtube/phone/.. without the neef of turning on the TV and controlled by tablet/phone/laptop.

So far I've read a lot and I have to say I really like the whole sonos concept but at €1400 for only a playbar and a sub and a closed system that's really quite expensive. So I was thinking it might be better to get an amp/AV receiver and some dedicated speakers? I've also looked into the sonos connect for all my streaming and playback wishes but that's already a whopping €350.. Videowise I imagine the yet-to-be-bought 55' 4k TV should be able to stream from the NAS?

For the record: 5.1 or up is not really an option since the sofa is against the wall and I'm not a big moviefan anyway. Anyway I'm really hoping there are some folks out there willing to guide me thru all this:) budget for audio-setup is around €1000. What I do have is a netgear readynas 102, some lousy Pioneer bookshelf speakers and a now broken amp from the prehistoric age.

Thanks so much!

I'll try to reply asap to any questions but currently I'm in Argentina for work.

Edit I hope it's in the right forum as this kind of falls in between home cinema and HiFi.

Sounds like you might want to keep you stereo and AV duties separate. Assuming you have a smart TV that can stream from your NAS (if not get a cheap streamer that has an optical output too), I would go for a good quality soundbase/soundbar for your TV that can accept HDMI or an optical input from your TV / streamer and a Bluetooth or Airplay wireless connection to play from your phone or tablet. Check out WHF for best buys under £200. Then a good quality lifestyle system that can network from your NAS and have optical / Bluetooth inputs to satisfy your other connectivity requirements e.g. Marantz, Denon, Yamaha etc. etc. I personally would go for a Yamaha NX-N500 for £600 - this is a powéred speaker setup with wireless streaming capabílity and has the option to be part of a multi-zone setup. If you don't want the soundbase or are not interested in a multi-channel setup, these speakers will also accept optical input from your TV.

Tino, thanks for your reply!

However I think less devices / cables / ... the better no? So and a bar and a mediaplayer of sorts and a set of speakers is maybe a bit too much.

I was looking at the yamaha rx-v 379 qv receiver paired with a couple of q acoustics 3020 speakers. Might this do well for music and the occasional movie? And do these beauties need a sub or is it more a matter of personal preference. I would hook up a google chromecast 2 in one of the HDMI inputs to take care of music streaming duties.

thanks

rainsoothe

Hi. I, for one, would look (if it fits budget, that is) at Marantz NA6005 + PM6005 + Dali Zensor 3 (and maybe add a sub at a later time, should it be required for movies). You could use the smart TV to stream movies from NAS and your TV digital out to the digital in of the PM6005 for movie duties, and the NA6005 for your music.

I have recently auditioned the Q Acustics 3050 with a Marantz SR5010 reciever and I thought they were pretty bad in the high department (really, really harsh). However, with the Dali Zensor 7 it sounded very, very good. Still detailed, but silky and warmer. Actually, the Marantz 5010 might be what you're looking for, it's a way better reciever then the Yamaha. And it was heavily reduced when my mate bought it (it was around 700 euro).

Come to think of it, one of the lesser Marantz recievers could also be a good sollution for you. But I haven't heard those, so cannot comment. PM6005 + Dali Zensor 3 is a cracking combo, though.

You should try to audition if you can, you might like something completely different.

Goodluck.

If the system is more leaning towards music listening with only the occasional movie then a integrated stereo amp rather than multichannel receiver would be a better choice imo.As above marantz pm series seems to be very popular as is the dali Zensor,but also consider the ikon 1 mk2 they're going for a song at the moment and they sit above the zensor in dalis range.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts