admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Firstly, can i say hi to everyone as i am new here.

My question is this:

I currently have i suppose an average cd player set up, compising of marantz cd6000ose cd player, pm6010ki amp, and kef q55.2 floor standers.

Basically i am looking to upgrade this to gain a better sound, and due to the huge amount on offer, was wondering if having around a grand to spend would be enough to gain any better sound than currently i have, or whether i may not make much gains from my current set up for that sort of money. Perhaps the money would be better spent on other paths instead of new equipment? For cd listening only.

So much information on this site, just want a quide in the right direction.Any info appreciated.

Many thanks.

T

the record spot

Not familiar with the KEFs but assume they are the next up in line from the old KEF Q35.2 design? The amp is still a fine one, lovely and clear (I have it too) but you could make a bit of a step up from the CD6000 OSE.

I think you can definately improve the sound, but it depends on what kind of sound you want and if you wanted to lash out £1k on one component, two or all three. If it's across all three, then you won't make a huge step up. If it's roughly £500 on two, then maybe and if you are thinking about buying used kit, then you could make a healthy upgrade by getting more for your money.

Independent dealers may offer a warranty on used kit, but it depends on where you go. BigEarsAudio's website gives you some nice examples of what you can get for reasonable cost and some very impressive looking kit at that.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
£1k budget for an upgrade in sound over your current system?

IMO there would be a definate improvement and i think that you'd be able to get a cracking system for that money (including all necessary cables).

1st things 1st...

What music do you listen to? Also; are you after standmount or floorstanding speakers, or does it not matter? Finally; are you happy with 2nd hand separates or would you want all brand new?

Personally, if it were me, i'd be shopping on eBay for a decent examples of either Arcam, Cyrus, NAD, Rotel, Rega or Musical Fidelity for both integrated amplifer and CD player. I'd also be looking at Monitor Audio, B&W and Rega for speakers as well as QED or Chord for interconnects and speaker cable.

When you come back with your jusic tastes i'll offer you more narrowed down ideas :)

A

Anonymous

Thanks for the reply.

I guess i'm after info on what would be the best way to spend the money. Glad to hear the amp is still good. Guess i need to find out what will work better with this amp then perhaps?

Yes i think the kefs are the next ones up from the 35's. I bought this a long time ago now and feel the want to try and improve it. What would be good upgrades if looked for used kit then?

A

Anonymous

hi dan

My music tastes are varied i guess. Mainly indie, rock, jazz, soul, bit of classical.

Need a bit if an allrounder i suppose??

T

the record spot

The speakers might still be good enough for the job; I have a pair of Mission 733i and Mission 752 (both floorstanders). They still sound superb today and there's no reason why your KEFs should be any different.

However, thinking about amps, one of the limitations of the Marantz is it's a bit of a cul-de-sac in terms of beefing it up with additional power amps later on. Superfi recently had the Audiolab 8000s for £290-odd down from around £600 or so. This can be added to in time with additional power amps and look at some of the better NAD gear to do the same.

Alternatively, you could get into the valve scene with the Icon Audio Stereo 20 valve amp at £500. The Marantz though is still good and would take some beating given that it's the KI model we're talking about. Nice clean sound and good enough on the power scale for a typical room.

I'm sure you can find out plenty on the current CD players on the market for new gear, but used is a wide and varied wonder of a thing! I've not hear the CD6000 OSE, so can't comment on the sound against some others out there, but £1k will get you some superb kit - £795 for an Eastern Electric Minimax, probably one of the recent Cyrus models and a PSX power supply (think back a generation or two if not the most recent pre-SE models). Unison Research Unico used comes onto your radar too (Heathcote Audio have one for £750) and maybe an Edgar CD1 which for £1400 was very well reviewed. Heatherdale Audio have an Accuphase DP65 (http://www.thevintageknob.org/ACCUPHASE/DP65/DP65.htmlfor a fiver short of your grand. That leaves you room to get one of Fopp's £5 specials to play on it! Primare CD20 for around £600-700 is worth considering too.

Of course, with kit of that calibre, you might be looking at a progressive upgrade over time to really benefit the source, but that's me aiming high...!

Obviously, with that kind of kit, you're definately looking at a trial listen, and there's a good range of gear for less that will do a good job too (one of the other guys on here - bretty - picked up a good used Rotel player recently), so it'll pay some dividends to read up some online reviews and seeing what's out there.

cheyworth

Jul 13, 2008
Visit site
A good option is to keep ths speakers and get a good deal on an all Arcam CD/amp.

You could get CD/amp/speaker and inter cables for £1k, sell your current system and get a new pair of speakers!

Chris

TRENDING THREADS