New floor standing speakers. advice please

lewis hurlin

Nov 15, 2008
Visit site
My B&W P4 speakers have finally packed in. I am on the hunt for a temport pair of speakers until I can afford a nice new pair of Spendor S6e. My budget for the new speakers is £350 max . My set up is an Arcam CD73T and the amplifier is a Audiolab 8000a mk2 and 8000p these are bi amped and and I use QED aniverasry silver bi wire speaker cable . My music taste is varied and I listen to most things from classical to prog rock . I have seen good deals on the Monitor Audio BR5 and also the Mission M35i. What are your thoughts ?

T

the record spot

I think it depends really on the kind of sound you like, but new, arguably the best floorstander out there in your price range (and a pound or two above it) would be the Q Acoustics 2050; apparently very decent for the £369 the non-gloss finish version will cost you. You may be impressed as they supposedly punch well above their weight.

KEF have their IQ5SE which is a slimmer floorstander and then you've got secondhand and I'll unhesitatingly recommend the Mission 752 which is a terrific speaker. If you get some in good condition, well looked after (and most are typically, but do check) then you'll pay about £80-100. To significantly improve on them, I think you're starting off on at least £800-1000.

d_a_n1979

Sep 6, 2007
Visit site
Hmmm

IMO for your system you'll not get better than thew Q Acousitc 2050's or the Acoustic Energy AE Neo 3's

If youre fine with 2nd hand maybe have a nosey round for some Monitor Audio RS5's or B&W 603 S2's or S3's

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The P4's were decent speakers, and I don't think anything under £500 is going to approach them. If this is temporary, I would use part of your budget to get the P4's back up and running, and save the rest towards your Spendors.

SteveR750

lewis hurlin:
My B&W P4 speakers have finally packed in. I am on the hunt for a temport pair of speakers until I can afford a nice new pair of Spendor S6e. My budget for the new speakers is £350 max . My set up is an Arcam CD73T and the amplifier is a Audiolab 8000a mk2 and 8000p these are bi amped and and I use QED aniverasry silver bi wire speaker cable . My music taste is varied and I listen to most things from classical to prog rock . I have seen good deals on the Monitor Audio BR5 and also the Mission M35i. What are your thoughts ?

You might find it difficult to find a brand new pair of S6e, since the A6 has been out for a while now. There is a pair on ebay which are purchased but unused for £900, and a used pair in good condition in black just sold for £500 or so. I have got a pair in cherry I think it is, though it looks nothing like a Gibson SG cherry colour that's for sure. I suspect that I might still yet keep them over Neat Motive 3

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts