new DAC makes me want to upgrade

Rallye666

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Hi all, I've recently purchased a Beresford Bushmaster DAC that has really helped me rediscover my music.

The detail it has uncovered has made me start to think my other components need upgrading.

I have a NAD C320 amp and a pair of Tannoy M3 speakers.

I like the idea of a c160 pre amp paired to my current one, later upgrading that to a c270 power amp or changing the speakers to some Tannnoy DC6T.

Which would be your first upgrade and why?

Cheers, James

Rallye666

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Current set up looks like this.

DAC is hooked up via toslink to both my iMac and an Apple TV for tidal streaming from my iPad

imagejpg1_zpse91ec221.jpg

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site

Hi,

You need to think about what you want, if it is simply a bigger, more potent version of what you have, go ahead.

If you want something different, something better, think again.

Ketan Bharadia

Jun 7, 2007
Visit site
Hello, upgrading the preamp section to the C160 should improve transparency, but I don't think you'll get the full benefit of that until you improve the power amp too. Regardless, changing the amp may be your best course of action as I'm not sure your current amplifier will get the most of the Tannoy speakers, anyway.

bluedroog

Mar 4, 2010
Visit site
I’ve never heard the Tannoy M3s but their smaller siblings the M2 were very highly regarded speakers in their day, I remember a friend of mine used to have them and they were nice. Speaker technology doesn’t move particularly fast so I’d be wary of making a sideways step because you’ve got the urge for new components. Upgrading speakers will yield the greatest upgrade but you need to be spending a reasonable amount to make it worthwhile in my opinion. I’m not really familiar with your amp, how do you think it drives them?

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
The advice above is spot on, I know the temptation to get some new kit, but the kind of modest improvements you are suggesting are not going to move you very far forward.

To get a serious improvement, you need to jump to something like an Arcam A19 or a Creek 50a, serious money, though you may be able to sell your current Nad to help you on the way.

Rallye666

Nov 18, 2014
Visit site
Thanks all for the replies, looks like I will start saving!

I would have thought a pre-power combo that was highly rated under £1000 in its day should be able to match a £650 modern day amp though?

Or does technology move quicker than I can keep with ?!

davedotco

Apr 24, 2013
Visit site
Rallye666 said:
Thanks all for the replies, looks like I will start saving!

I would have thought a pre-power combo that was highly rated under £1000 in its day should be able to match a £650 modern day amp though?

Or does technology move quicker than I can keep with ?!

Nothing to do with technology.

Partly it is to do with replacing a compedent budget amplifier from one manafacturer with a compedent budget pre-power amplifier from the same manufacturer. They will both have the Nad house sound and although the pre-power will be better, much of the time it will not sound that much better. When both amplifiers are from a manufacturer whose strength is in their budget models, as is the situation here, this will be even more the case.

Sometimes it is difficult to explain, some amplifiers just bring something to a system that most do not. Under £1000, the ones that do that most often, for me, are the Creek50a, the Peachtree Nova and the Croft Integrated. The new Arcams are reputed to be much better than the models they repace and the A19 is quite competitively priced so I have included it as one to listen to, though I have not had direct experience myself.

MeanandGreen

Dec 26, 2012
Visit site
I used to have a NAD C350 driving a pair of Tannoy Mercury M2.5 speakers.

Not the same set up as you, but very similar. I personally found the amp to be capable of more sonically than what that particular era of Mercury's had to offer. I found the speakers rather lacking in bite in the treble and just a touch too overblown in the bass combined with the NAD.

I would expect the DC6 speakers to be a significant upgrade over your current M3's if my Mercury V4's are anything to go on.

My old C350 and Mercury M2.5's were lacking in overall clarity and separation of instruments. It sounded inoffensive but also a bit dull and overly warm to my ears.

At the time I switched the Tannoys to some B&W DM 601 S3 speakers and the sound transformed into something much more involving and open especially in the treble, but it wasn't harsh. What was dull previously sounded clear and open.

Going off my experience with a similar system to yours in the past, I certainly think better speakers would make the most sence first.

Look at the amp later, obviously you should try and hear anything before you buy it. Like I said my current Tannoy V4 speakers have much improved clarity over my old M2.5 which I still have stashed in my spare room.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts