new cd player or iPod?

if...

Nov 21, 2007
Visit site
I have a Musical Fidelity XA200R amp and need a source to go with it. I will be using some Monitor Audio Silver 4i spekers and Kimber 4PR cables. The question is should I try to get a matching MF X-Ray CD player from ebay, something a little newer from a shop (any recommendations?) or will my iPod, with tunes ripped at the highest rate, provide a good enough sound comparable with a cd player?

Any guidance much appreciated!

Thanks

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
John did you have the original X-ray or one of the later ones - just trying to get an opinion on the V8 as been offered at a good prices with the dac but know one seems to have owned one

A

Anonymous

I should be receiving a cable to connect my ipod through my DAC/XP any day now. I'm not thinking of dropping my CD8x completely, I'm just curious as to what the ipod will sound like. Once I've tried I'll let you know.

A

Anonymous

would definatly get the x ray cd player, my dads got the the same amp and speakers as you with the x ray cd player, sounds lovely. Really deatailed and tight sounding with loads of scale. They look pretty cool together two

A

Anonymous

[quote user="if..."]Thanks - interested to hear your thoughts.[/quote]

Received my cable today. Only had a brief listen (1/2 hour), needless to say I won't be dumping my CDP just yet. To be fair to the ipod though, I've only managed to get hold of an analogue cable where as the CDP is digital to my DAC/XP, whether this would make that much difference though I'm not sure.

The tracks I listened too were ripped in Apple lossless.

Anyone know of a digital cable for the ipod?

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
[quote user="IanS1"][quote user="if..."]Thanks - interested to hear your thoughts.[/quote]

Received my cable today. Only had a brief listen (1/2 hour), needless to say I won't be dumping my CDP just yet. To be fair to the ipod though, I've only managed to get hold of an analogue cable where as the CDP is digital to my DAC/XP, whether this would make that much difference though I'm not sure.

The tracks I listened too were ripped in Apple lossless.

Anyone know of a digital cable for the ipod?[/quote]

Not altogether surprised at the outcome

John Duncan

[quote user="JoelSim"]Not altogether surprised at the outcome[/quote]

Not through the analogue output, no, compared to one of the great DACs in the Cyrus. The wadia iTransport (350 notes or something) bypasses the DAC in the iPod and uses its own DAC, or can output digital to your XP. That would be a level playing field.............

JoelSim

Aug 24, 2007
Visit site
I feel this all depends on how much music you listen to at home. I personally would never choose a portable music source even together with a DAC instead of a CD player if I were to partner it with a full size amp and speakers. It doesn't make sense musically or aesthetically.

matengawhat

Aug 17, 2007
Visit site
i'm waiting to give one them a go - Andrew pointed me in that direction yesterday but only seen them advertised in one shop for £350 - sure i read somewhere that the price in the states was only $350 so seems a bit steep for us. Would be keen to hear if anyone has bought one yet! Read somewhere that should have been released at the end of May so hopefully not to long until more stores are stocking

John Duncan

[quote user="JoelSim"]aesthetically[/quote]

Agreed.

[quote user="JoelSim"]musically[/quote]

Disagree. A bit-perfect stream is easier to get from a hard disk (or solid-state Nano, even better!) than a CD, so is more likely to get a more accurate copy of the music to any given DAC. It's up to quality of your DAC from there on in.

A

Anonymous

[quote user="JohnDuncan"]It's up to quality of your DAC from there on in.[/quote]

That's why it would be nice to be able to get a digital cable as the analogue inputs bypass the DAC on my DAC/XP. Any ideas for a digital cable?

The WADIA looks nice, might see what price one of my colleagues can get it for in the states.

John Duncan

[quote user="IanS1"]Any ideas for a digital cable?[/quote]

Nope, they don't exist, AFAIK.

[quote user="IanS1"]The WADIA looks nice, might see what price one of my colleagues can get it for
in the states.[/quote]

Be wary of voltage and warranty issues.............

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts