New B&W P9?

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
I'm looking to get some new headphones and wondering about the B&W P9's. They're getting a little long in the tooth so wondering if they're likely to be replaced soon. I appreciate that they are anniversary models so they may be one-off rather than an evolving product like the P7/PX7's.

thanks

D

Deleted member 188533

Wouldn't be my first ( or second or third ) choice especially at that crazy price. What are you going to use as a source? Amp/DAC etc. Home use or portable? You need closed back isolation or will open back work? What kind of music do you listen to most?

Amadeus1756

Jan 4, 2011
Visit site
Thanks Anort.

I have quite an eclectic music taste. Mainly symphonies, opera and piano concertos along with punk and Johnny Cash.
I'm looking for over-ear, wireless, closed backs and noise cancelling ideally (I know this doesn't match the P9 but if they were going to be replaced, I'd have thought those missing features might be included). This would be for portable use mainly so source would be via iPhone or laptop.

I really like the look of the PX7 but have quite a large head; they're on my list to audition tho.
I really don't like the Sony WH-1000XM3.

Budget ideally £300-400 but would stretch to more if they were really superb and would last (i.e. not break as opposed to me just wanting something different).

If you have any suggestions (assume I'm dumb - it wouldn't be far from the truth and I'm not precious), I'd really appreciate it.

Many thanks

D

Deleted member 188533

Really the Bose QC35s the Sony and the Sennheiser Momentum 3 are about as good as you're going to get with wireless closed backs with noise cancellation. I haven't auditioned them to have a personal preference but generally from the reviews I've read the Sennheiser wins on sound quality and the Bose wins on the noise cancellation while the Sony splits the difference.

I don't have a clue when they're going to be released and there's no active noise cancellation but Massdrop ( Drop ) is working on a true audiophile grade wireless headphone:

The integrated THX AAA amp should make them something special. I think around $400 US is going to be the launch price.

D

Deleted member 188533

If you have a chance check out the Momentum 3. I believe it retains the Sennheiser slightly mid forward / neutral 'house sound' and is the best fit for your musical tastes. Not as good as an HD600 but the best of the 'big 3' ANC headphones.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts