New AV system, old speakers

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
I have a 'old' stereo system consisting of Arcam 8SE CD player, amp and tuner with Mission 782 floorstanding speakers. I am now investing in a Pioneer 50 90 based set up. Two separate (?) questions arise. Firstly is it sensible to utilise my Missions as L & R, and then add something complementary as centre, and rear (though not decided yet if I want to have rear speakers)?

If yes, what might be appropriate?

Secondly, should I rely on the AV amp and bluray player to provide the music sources, or should I keep the Arcams feeding the Missions? Would that provide a better sound?

Any help much appreciated

A

Anonymous

Hi,

I'd be inclined to hang on to the 782s and ideally pick up a pair of 780s and a 78C second hand. Failing that, if you buy an AV amp with a mic and EQ, it'll generally do a decent job of smoothing out the response from mixed and matched brands / models. Few AV receivers can match even a decent stereo amp for music and the same is true of Blu Ray players vs CD players, so you might want to hang on to your Arcam kit.ÿ

Messiah

I would keep the 782s, especially if you like the sound produced at the moment. I would also agree with beaverme and keep the Arcam stuff for the stereo duties.

As for the other speakers, you should also consider the 78DS for rears. These are really good (I had some but I recently sold mine) and you could also use the older 75C centre as this still matches well with the 78 series. There are usually examples of all these speakers on ebay.

Lost Angeles

Apr 24, 2008
Visit site
cheapskate:

I have a 'old' stereo system consisting of Arcam 8SE CD player, amp and tuner with Mission 782 floorstanding speakers. I am now investing in a Pioneer 50 90 based set up. Two separate (?) questions arise. Firstly is it sensible to utilise my Missions as L & R, and then add something complementary as centre, and rear (though not decided yet if I want to have rear speakers)?

If yes, what might be appropriate?

Secondly, should I rely on the AV amp and bluray player to provide the music sources, or should I keep the Arcams feeding the Missions? Would that provide a better sound?

Any help much appreciated

I don't know hold "old" your Arcam gear is but I'd keep your Arcam amp and use it to feed your front speakers for Hifi and surround. It will probably be much better than an A/V amp. Use your Arcam CDP for CDs as it will be better than a Blu-Ray player for that.
No idea about speakers

A

Anonymous

Thanks very much for the advice. I have decided on the Monitor Audio Radius speakers, but will forgo the front speakers and try it with the Missions, separately connected to the Arcam set-up. If it sounds OK, then that's fine. Otherwise will buy the fronts.

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts