New AV Reciever

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi,

My current set up consists of a pair of PMC FB1i fronts and TB2MCi center and a pair of EPOS rears (remenants of my previous AV set up, this will go and be replaced at some point with a pair of DB1i) All driven by a Yamaha 3067.

I always feel the Yamaha is not doing enough justice to the PMCs and am looking for a substatial upgrade in the coming months.

All the reviews point me towards Arcam AVR 600. But the issues I read in forums with such a high cost is making me think again. Also, the receiver is quite old, have other manufacturers caught up and can I get a similar quality receiver that is more reliable? Or has Arcam fixed all the issues now?

Although my preference is movies, I want the receiver to be capable of handling music as well and I have a USB hard drive with FLAC music. Arcam does not have a USB port in the front as well. This might make it a bit clumsy for me to connect and disconnect the hard drive when required.

Finally is it a good idea to get a Ex-demo model considering the cost difference?

I am not too bothered with 3D capability as I dont have a 3D TV and dont plan to get one for the next couple of years.

Thanks

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The quality of the AVR600 wouldn't be up for question. If all bugs are fixed, great, but of not, you'd have to check to see if there's anything that would annoy you. Otherwise, a great receiver, one which we used to drive a full KEF Reference system when it was first launched at our open evening in 2008 (I'm guessing).

What features do you need for the AVR? Everything will be capable of 3D nowadays, so that's a none issue, but are you in need of room EQ? A second HDMI output? How many HDMI inputs? Regarding the playing of FLAC files, you could consider a media box to play these via the receiver, which will then mean you can choose whatever receiver you like and not have to worry about whether it has a front mounted USB or not.

To keep up the quality of the audio side of things, I would highly recommend the Audiolab 8200AP. This is a very simple pre-processor that has been stripped of all superfluous 'features' and concentrated on the basics - no video processing (only pass through via HDMI), no room EQ, and no Internet/streaming capabilities. All this requires to enjoy full HD audio and HD video is a Bluray player than can convert the HD audio codecs to PCM, which the 8200AP can then decode - this does away with extra licensing and additional costs. Adding one to my system has been one of the biggest upgrades I've made since moving over to Bluray.

With this being a processor, you'll need a power amp. With a high quality pre at the helm, this leaves you open to choosing a suitable power amp, which can be chosen on power needed and on speaker matching. I know for a fact the Bryston 9Bsst2 works fantastic with the PMC speakers, but this may be outside of your budget, so something like the Rotel RMB1565 or 1575 Class D amplifiers are worth looking at, or Audiolab's 8200x7 (which allows a 7-channel system, or front L&R bi-amping). There's also a number of routes that can be taken with mono and stereo amplification, particularly with a number of Audiolab options, as well as others from Quad, NAD, and Rotel.

TheHomeCinemaCentre

Oct 1, 2008
Visit site
The 3067 is good AV amp - what is it about the sound that you are looking to improve? Do you run a sub in your system?

As David says the 8200AP is a good start but depending on your budget it may be worth looking at the power amp first and run the 3067 as a processor with a view to upgrading the the Audiolab later.

Son_of_SJ

Sep 10, 2009
Visit site
Pippin said:
All driven by a Yamaha 3067.

I always feel the Yamaha is not doing enough justice to the PMCs and am looking for a substatial upgrade in the coming months.

If you are set on replacing your Yamaha RX-V3067, there will be no shortage of eager punters on these and other forums who will take it off you in a heartbeat.

A

Anonymous

Appreciate the detailed response David. Pre/ power amp (Audiload 8200AP + Rotel 1575) sounds like a really viable alternative.

Now I am spoilt by choices :) I really dont fancy all the new features that comes with the modern Av receiver like streaming, loads of DSP modes, video processing/up scaling, additional HDMI out. I have a single TV and dont plan on getting a projector. Also I wont need a multi zone set up. All I need from the receiver or pre power combo is is the ability to play my blu ray discs to the max of its potential and a way to hook up my flac collection that I have recently started ripping from CD. I want to maintain all my CD collection in a HDD as it is saves me a lot of space.

Nothing wrong with the Yamaha to be honest, but I feel the PMC can really do better with a high end amp.

Thanks again.

Frank Harvey

Jun 27, 2008
Visit site
The only drawback with the 8200AP (although it would be classed as a benefit in this case!) is that it won't stream music, and doesn't have a USB input. You would need some sort of media box in order to stream music to it, then send the signal digitally to the AP. I already had a Sonos box so streaming was still possible with my set up.

ellisdj

Dec 11, 2008
Visit site
Hello mate - maybe try bi amp if the amp has the feature - demanding speakers need the extra oomph / control from using more channels - av amps are designed for satellites really makes sense

Or if its the sound you don't like - well that will be Yamaha and Ypao, not much you can do about that - maybe give pioneer 86/85/83 a go but again bi amp is the way forward ;)

Mccac needs some knowledge get the best out it !!

TRENDING THREADS

Latest posts