New AV Receiver / Speakers - Suggestions required please.

admin_exported

Aug 10, 2019
Visit site
Hi all,

I am hoping to upgrade my current audio setup in the next few months to go alongside my Samsung 40" 1080p LCD TV and my PS3. I am considering the Onkyo 606 with either the KEF KHT 2005.2 or 2005.3's, but I was wondering if anyone could suggest a better setup?

A colleague has suggested going with either a Denon or Yamaha AV Receiver but not sure which way to go!

The system will be primarily used for watching DVD's, Blu Rays and gaming through the PS3, but will also be used as the main audio set up in the home for music (ipod and cd). It will also have a PC connected (eventually via HDMI), and a later addition of the foxSAT-HDR PVR or SKY HD. The PS3 and PVR / SKY will be connected via HDMI so 3/4 HDMI inputs would be a minimum to try and future proof the kit.

My budget is £800 - £1000 for AV Receiver and speakers. Could be pushed if tempted by something!

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated for suggested options or for any experiences using the mentioned kit.

Also I’m a novice when it comes to cables so some recommendations or pointers there would be great aswell (both speaker and HDMI).

Many thanks in advance, elwell70.

A

Anonymous

onkyo is ok but i found they run very very hot, so i went with the denon 2809 and have no regrets what so ever, speaker wise i opted for b&w 603 s3 fronts with the b&w htm61 centre and quad rears, with the rel r-305 sub. as for the cables i went for the qed hdmi's which got a great review from what hi-fi and at £50 each they don't break the bank, speaker cables are chord silverscreen bi-wired. its a bit more than your budget but build it up in stages and it will be worth it. if you want a great deal on an amp go to richer sounds they are doing the denon 2808 in there vip section for only £399.99

A

Anonymous

Thanks, for the response. I will take a look at the Denon, how many HDMI inputs has it got?

A

Anonymous

Andrew Everard:Sounds like a serious investment just to listen to Morse code...

Sorry not following you????

A

Anonymous

For the amp I would suggest either the Yamaha 763 or 863, i have the 763 currently and it sounds awesome, although I have a big room, so i may upgrade to the 863 in the near future.

In terms of speakers the B&Ws are great, but if you are looking for a style type package then go for the M1s and try and find a decent subwoofer, as the PV1 (MT30 package) will be out of your budget.

The KEF 2005.3's have good reveiws, a freind of mine had the 2005.2's before upgrading to the M1's, so either of the KEF's would sound good (but not as clear as the M1'S)

A

Anonymous

markjaspi:

For the amp I would suggest either the Yamaha 763 or 863, i have the 763 currently and it sounds awesome, although I have a big room, so i may upgrade to the 863 in the near future.

In terms of speakers the B&Ws are great, but if you are looking for a style type package then go for the M1s and try and find a decent subwoofer, as the PV1 (MT30 package) will be out of your budget.

The KEF 2005.3's have good reveiws, a freind of mine had the 2005.2's before upgrading to the M1's, so either of the KEF's would sound good (but not as clear as the M1'S)

Thanks for the advice markjaspi.

TRENDING THREADS